• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Flexible epoxy

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Wood movement is still a problem with epoxy, but it depends on how you use it. To fill holes or even fairly large gaps, not a problem. Putting a rim on a 12" platter and it will have a problem eventually. When filling voids of say 1 or 2 inches there simply isn't enough wood movement in most woods to cause a problem. When you start getting up to the 10" and bigger range then you get into 1/8" seasonally on some woods but that of course depends on where it's stored and how much humidity changes in the area stored over the year. When I do decorative rings out of epoxy or Inlace I try to undercut the slot so the epoxy is kind of captured. In my tests what usually happens is one side comes loose and then over several years that loose area gets larger and larger. I had a 12" platter that I left an epoxy ring on the outer boarder. I cut a rabbit and then cut a slot in the inner side of the rabbit. Filled with epoxy and then turned away all the wood to leave the epoxy proud on both sides. It still filled the horizontal slot so I had a mechanical groove for the epoxy to bind to as well as the outer surface. It took about 3 years for it to show a gap. The gap would git bigger every year working it's way around until I could pull the ring completely off.

I've used polyester resin instead of epoxy with pretty good results. This 12" bowl has a crushed stone filled poly resin ring, and it looks the same today as it did when this picture was made, over 10 years ago. On the other hand, I'm living in a dry high altitude area with average humidity in my home running 20-25%.Vess_28b.jpg

Back