• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Forum Upgrade - Whats New and Help - March 2021

Chris Fairbanks

Adminstrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
okay - went back and no joy - original post gone again.
Thread is "Adding string/rope to my work"
Jeff I'll start a conversation with you to dig into this as I see the thread fine in three different browsers across two devices including my test account that has the same permissions as you. Lets see what we can do to figure this out. Thanks!

Chris Fairbanks

Adminstrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
In the previous version, it was possible to mark just the specific (sub)forum -- e.g., "getting started" -- as read but you also had the option to mark *all* forums as read. Now it seems that the only option is every one or none. The option of marking just the subforum you are in no longer appears.
@R Henrickson you should be able to mark a specific sub forum read. Click on the forum to go into the specific forum you want to mark read and then click the mark read button like this. Please let me know if that works for you. Thanks!
1616043245000.png

Chris Fairbanks

Adminstrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
With the upgrade are we now able to edit our own thread titles, or is the still an admin function?
Mark, Its a permissions setting. I am in the process of a massive permissions clean up with the system. As part of that we are looking at each and every setting to see what we should set. The challenge is the system has no ability for us to allow members to edit the title for an specific amount of time, say 10 minutes. That would cover folks fixing an error with the title they made. Its either you can always edit it or not be allowed to edit it and thats why it is set the way it is. The permissions clean-up is going to take me about a week to work through so once we are done I can get back to you on what our plan is going forward. Thanks!

Tom Gall

TOTW Team
Tom, This might be a lot easier than I thought. The new version has the capabilities for me to copy the main theme and make "child" copy of it. That allows me to keep making any changes in the parent and those will flow down to the child. I can them put specific child settings in that will override the parent. An example is changing the font colors. I created a high contrast version and just enabled it. The only changes I made so far is changing the forum names colors to black and change the thread names to black. See what you think? To change themes, click the Default Style button in the bottom left of your web browser.

View attachment 37751

From there you should get a pop-up for the Style Chooser. From there select high contrast and you should be good to go.

View attachment 37750

Let me know what you think and if anything you would like to see changed.
Thanks, Chris. The Black contrast (High Contrast Default Style button) is much easier for me to read. Wishful thinking here - would be even easier if the difference between Bold Unread and Read messages were different colors or text size. :) Probably not possible. Thanks again.

Chris Fairbanks

Adminstrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
Thanks, Chris. The Black contrast (High Contrast Default Style button) is much easier for me to read. Wishful thinking here - would be even easier if the difference between Bold Unread and Read messages were different colors or text size. :) Probably not possible. Thanks again.
@Tom Gall Check it out and let me know what you think now. Font size changes mess a little with the formatting of the forums but colors are easy to fix. I left unread as bold black and changed read messages to unbold and the default blue we are using in the normal theme. I can easily change the colors though to something easier to read. Just let me know.

1616090060448.png

Tom Gall

TOTW Team
@Tom Gall Check it out and let me know what you think now. Font size changes mess a little with the formatting of the forums but colors are easy to fix. I left unread as bold black and changed read messages to unbold and the default blue we are using in the normal theme. I can easily change the colors though to something easier to read. Just let me know.

View attachment 37777
Chris ..... you are a prince! This is so much easier for this old guy's eyes (and I'm sure all the other old f----) to differentiate the difference. Thanks for your quick responses and solutions on this update. ❤️❤️❤️ :)

Chris Fairbanks

Adminstrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
Chris ..... you are a prince! This is so much easier for this old guy's eyes (and I'm sure all the other old f----) to differentiate the difference. Thanks for your quick responses and solutions on this update. ❤️❤️❤️ :)
Tom you are welcome. If you see any other tweaks you would like just send me a message.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Why is "Stay logged in" the default? Are people being tracked like Google and Amazon does?

That has always been the default option on this site and it has nothing to do with tracking. What that feature does is enables your computer to automatically log you in when you come back to this site rather than you having to type your username and password every time you come here. I have accounts on probably at least fifty websites and couldn't possibly remember all of them, but my computers and mobile devices have much better memory than I do so it is a great convenience and not something sinister. BTW, tracking isn't necessarily a bad thing (depending upon what sort of websites you visit).

That has always been the default option on this site and it has nothing to do with tracking. What that feature does is enables your computer to automatically log you in when you come back to this site rather than you having to type your username and password every time you come here. I have accounts on probably at least fifty websites and couldn't possibly remember all of them, but my computers and mobile devices have much better memory than I do so it is a great convenience and not something sinister. BTW, tracking isn't necessarily a bad thing (depending upon what sort of websites you visit).
I don't remember "Stay logged in" as the default on the other site. It's obvious on this one; and I understand the purpose of the feature. I do wish I could disable it.

I sign in and out of all the sites I visit, which is no where near fifty, I use a password manager to sign in so I don't have to remember passwords and user name combinations.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
I don't remember "Stay logged in" as the default on the other site. It's obvious on this one; and I understand the purpose of the feature. I do wish I could disable it.

It was there on the previous version of XenForo as well as the several versions of vBulletin that we originally used. The main reason that you might want to disable the software from remembering you would be if you were using a public computer or any shared computer where you would be concerned about somebody pretending to be you and posting messages using your identity. You can disable it by logging out and then uncheck the box the next time that you log in.

Hey Chris, I noticed that the photo thumbnails now have an overlay with some file info obscuring the bottom third of the image. Tap the the thumbnail and you can see the whole image, but it's nice to be able to see the image before deciding to enlarge. Is the overlay optional? If so does it serve a purpose?

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
What a ruination of a great web site...:mad:

Hey, for some folks here who might be on the cusp of entering their second childhood, it could be just what they need. I've been considering adding a line of dancing bears across the web page as well as background music and flashing text. :rolleyes:

Chris Fairbanks

Adminstrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
I guess, as long as their not nekid, you wouldn't be breaking any rules... o_O
I restricted the Gipfy configuration to PG13 rated gifs. Thats not to say people could not attach gifs worse than that but thats what we have rules and moderators for :)
Austin Powers Reaction GIF

Last edited:

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
Hello @Chris Fairbanks and @Bill Boehme........I see that the gallery photos are now restricted to a limited amount of text in the description. If there is a reason for that, that's fine......but, I could easily add more information about the bowls I add to the gallery.

So......what's up with that?

Is it possible to add more text space?

-----odie-----

Chris Fairbanks

Adminstrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
On smaller devices it does that with the thumbnails. It’s on my list to look into but work has been a zoo the last few weeks as it’s our fiscal year end. I am heading out of town on Saturday with the family for spring break. I’ll try to figure out a fix but it may have to wait until I am back in town. Thanks

Tom Gall

TOTW Team
Chris ..... when in the Photo Gallery is there a 'zoom' button anywhere. There used to be one on the previous version. I think the photos are a little larger with this update, but sometimes I like to take a "closer look". ;) Thanks!
Have a great vacation!!!

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Chris ..... when in the Photo Gallery is there a 'zoom' button anywhere. There used to be one on the previous version. I think the photos are a little larger with this update, but sometimes I like to take a "closer look". ;) Thanks!
Have a great vacation!!!

Tom, the full-size viewing feature is the same as it was in the previous version, however, I believe that it is a Windows feature that enables you to view the full-size image. Right-click on the gallery photo and select "View Image". If a larger image is available the cursor will change to a magnifying glass with a "+" in the circle. Just click the image and you will now have the full-size image. The cursor will change to a magnifying glass with a "-" in the circle. To get back to the normal view click the browser's Back button.

Also, congratulations on being the featured artist in the April issue of American Woodturner (inside front cover and page 1). Your work is certainly worthy of recognition.

Chris Fairbanks

Adminstrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
I changed the text overlay on the Gallery images when you are in the thumbnail view. When you are on a desktop they should only pop up when you hover over them. On tablet type of devices they are still there but the screen is big enough to hopefully not have the text overlay block 1/3 of the image. Finally on phone size devices I have disabled the text overlay box completely. Please test it out and let me know what you guys think.

Tom Gall

TOTW Team
Tom, the full-size viewing feature is the same as it was in the previous version, however, I believe that it is a Windows feature that enables you to view the full-size image. Right-click on the gallery photo and select "View Image". If a larger image is available the cursor will change to a magnifying glass with a "+" in the circle. Just click the image and you will now have the full-size image. The cursor will change to a magnifying glass with a "-" in the circle. To get back to the normal view click the browser's Back button.

Also, congratulations on being the featured artist in the April issue of American Woodturner (inside front cover and page 1). Your work is certainly worthy of recognition.
Thanks for your reply, Bill. I have a Mac - my options are "Open in a new Tab" or "Open in a new Window". The "+" or "-" then works as you describe. No biggie, but a little different than before - you know....."hard to teach an old dog new tricks". ;)

Thanks for your congrats regarding the AAW journal.

Time allowed for editing a post is now 15 min. Not sure there was a time limit before but it was much longer. I posted something that turned out to be incorrect info earlier today and went back to change it. I had to add a new post vs editing the original.

If I scroll down and pick a thread to read, after reading I click on the "Woodturning Discussion Forum" link in the bottom left. This returns me to the top of the forum. Is there any way that it would remember where I was and automatically scroll me back to that location?

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
If I scroll down and pick a thread to read, after reading I click on the "Woodturning Discussion Forum" link in the bottom left. This returns me to the top of the forum. Is there any way that it would remember where I was and automatically scroll me back to that location?

Yes, instead of clicking on the "breadcrumb" at the bottom of the page, use the browser's "back" button or if you are using a mouse you could right-click and then select the "back arrow" in the pop-up menu.

Back