• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Galbert Caliper

Watched a video on this and of course now I want one. One problem. I can't find one and the guys site says it's out of stock and can't even find a date on any of the sites that used to sell them of when they were sold.

Does anyone have one of these or know where they can be found? Or if they ever come back into stock? Maybe like the elusive oddnot...

(it's a discussion forum, you'll have to Google it if you don't know)

Those are the same sites I came up with. I'd never heard of it before watching the video.... (I really need to stay off YouTube)

There's the site of the guy whose name is on them too in case you missed that one.

Last edited:
@Sam Fleisher I have one. I use it on spindles. It works very well. It was out of stock when I wanted to buy it and I signed up for a notification when back in stock. It was available about 6 weeks later. I’m guessing you know how it works, for those that don’t you can use it while the lathe is running to see what your diameter is at any time. I don’t know how the Veritas works, but the Galbert works very well.

No; I don’t want to sell it. I will be making about 15 fishing gaffs for my brother starting next week. Three different diameters 1”, 1 3/8”, and 1 7/8” about 24” overall length. It will get a lot of use. Picture is one I made years ago. New ones will be cypress, stainless hook, and brass insert.

IMG_3383.jpeg

IMG_3385.jpeg

IMG_3387.jpeg

Here is a link to the original Corlin direct reading caliper, I had one of the outside calipers but it disappeared when I was doing a demo at Rockler in Minneapolis.
There was also a single outside available from another seller.
I'm going to give it a try.

Pretty sure this is going to be the "ONE TOOL" I needed to make me a better wood turner....... No, scratch that... I believe the phrase is Great wood turner...... (believe that?)

Last edited:
I have one, I too put myself on a waiting list as I wanted a metric one. As soon as the metric version was available I received an email, then I ordered one.

Really handy unit, makes quick work of reducing parts of a piece to a required diameter, then one just carries on.

Another use is to check the diameter of anything round on the lathe by just quickly holding the unit against the piece; so quick.

Those direct read calipers are not the same as the Galbert. It's hard to describe how it works, as it's unique. For production spindle turners it's a game changer.

Those direct read calipers are not the same as the Galbert. It's hard to describe how it works, as it's unique. For production spindle turners it's a game changer.
That is true but they are much more versatile, for instance they work on bowls to check the wall thickness as well as measuring diameters on spindle work.
As for production spindle turners it being a game changer maybe or maybe not. In the 1990's I did several balustrade rebuilds that included hand turned balusters in quantities of up to 100 without a Galbert and the turning time each got to be between 10 and 15 minutes.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
For production spindle turners it's a game changer.
Could be for some. Especially for doing one ofs.

a couple production turners I know well have a device with fingers or bent wires on swivels.
they turn the depths on the first one then move a Wire to each depth mark and set it to fall through at that depth.
once set the rest of the depth lines in the run are turned by parting in where the wire is until the wire falls through.

everything is referenced off the fingers or wires. Verticals line up, depths all the same.

It is really designed for chair makers (by a chair maker). Used for turning stretchers and spindles. One of these days I will make that Windsor chair. I have been using it a lot as it give the actual dimension while the at the is running rather than a spring caliper set to a dimension.

Could be for some. Especially for doing one ofs.

a couple production turners I know well have a device with fingers or bent wires on swivels.
they turn the depths on the first one then move a Wire to each depth mark and set it to fall through at that depth.
once set the rest of the depth lines in the run are turned by parting in where the wire is until the wire falls through.

everything is referenced off the fingers or wires. Verticals line up, depths all the same.
I've seen that type of set up. You describe it well. Keith Gotschall was the production turner who introduced me to the Galbert. I have more time than recipients, so the sophistication of the Galbert would be wasted on me.

Last edited:
I got one several years ago. At first I thought it to be flimsy and light weight. Light weight it is but it works as advertised. Well designed. I wouldn't want to be without it. Its one of those few gadgets that I take particular care of because I don't want to damage it and be without it. When doing multiple copies of the same profile it's priceless.

There was also a single outside available from another seller.
I'm going to give it a try.

Pretty sure this is going to be the "ONE TOOL" I needed to make me a better wood turner....... No, scratch that... I believe the phrase is Great wood turner...... (believe that?)
I have one of the Corlin outside calipers, bought years ago at Spence's Bazaar, Tues-Fri in Dover DE, a real variety show. I do like it and use if often. Don't lose the knurled nut -- or better, go buy a spare before you lose the original.

I follow Peter Galbert on instagram and just remembered. He made a post on January 25th that he was needing a machinist to help make his calipers. Probably the reason its not in stock. Feel sure he will get that problem resolved.

I follow Peter Galbert on instagram and just remembered. He made a post on January 25th that he was needing a machinist to help make his calipers. Probably the reason its not in stock. Feel sure he will get that problem resolved.

I never did find a place that listed the price of them. How much are they going for?

Michael Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
TOTW Team
It seems like you can accomplish the same thing with Vernier calipers, right? The Galbert is likely a bit quicker though, but you get the same functionality. It doesn't seem like you're doing production spindle work, Sam, so I don't understand why you want it so badly. (a bit of Devil's advocate here, because I also understand the need/want for the next great tool. LOL)

It seems like you can accomplish the same thing with Vernier calipers, right? The Galbert is likely a bit quicker though, but you get the same functionality. It doesn't seem like you're doing production spindle work, Sam, so I don't understand why you want it so badly. (a bit of Devil's advocate here, because I also understand the need/want for the next great tool. LOL)

Well, Some people have kids and maybe plan on sending them to college.

I don't and have always lived my life as a selfish $%^&* I guess. I do what I want when I want. Even sent the ex-wife back home to Australia so it's just me and one boxer dog now.

So when I see something neat or interesting, me being a fat lazy $%^&* I'll get it to see if it makes whatever I'm doing easier or more fun to do.

Didn't know I wanted it so badly though....... it's just another toy/tool to try.

Kind of like did I need a 4000 watt pa system for a stereo in my living room? noooo or did I need a 500hp stroker motor in a mustang convertible? noooooo but BOY WERE THEY FUN!! Now that I'm older I've toned my toys down and pretty much just tools now. Figure they'll sell better at the auction my sister will have when I'm gone.

(If people doing fun, mildly illegal things bother you then don't view.)

View: https://youtu.be/PNumOhDpjto?si=3hirjt7yLFdB9sCp

Last edited:
I have one of the Corlin outside calipers, bought years ago at Spence's Bazaar, Tues-Fri in Dover DE, a real variety show. I do like it and use if often. Don't lose the knurled nut -- or better, go buy a spare before you lose the original.
Well I went back and looked at the pics of the one I bought and either someone has already lost the knurled nut or some years models don't have it because this one has a wing nut on it. I did notice knurled brass nuts the other day at the local Menards when I was looking for acorn nuts for something else. Maybe I'll install some bling on it when I get it tomorrow or Saturday.

Tom Gall

TOTW Team
I never did find a place that listed the price of them. How much are they going for?
Peter Galbert did a demo for our club in 2011. The club placed a group order - $70 and free shipping. Normally selling for $79.99 at that time.
Forgot I even had one ... could have used it a few months ago.

The gadget is palm sized and that is nice. Pinch calipers are long and a little awkward but they can have a larger diameter range.
The charm of Galbert's design is that up front reading. Nothing else does that that I know of.
The diameter range is somewhat limited but that range is perfect for most of the spindles I turn.
Before the Galbert, I'd have four or five sets of pinch calipers out set for various important diameters of whatever spindle I was turning. I'd have to mark the calipers for the various detail points. With the Galbert, all I needed was a set of diameter numbers on a drawing or story stick.

Last edited:
I don't have a Galbert, but it is on my wishlist. For chairs, where you have tapered holes, I can see it being excellent, but for other things where you are trying to hit a dimension I do wonder how accurate and repeatable reading a number is, compared to setting a traditional set of calipers. Galbert is smart though, and I have a lot of respect for him, so I'm sure he knows more about it than I do.

This is a new video from Stevethewoodturner.....a different production turner approach to turning multiples to dimension. Another smart guy. dimensioning

Back