• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Getting wood to Alaska

Website
www.turnedalaskancrafts.com
I am planning a trip back to the Minnesota and Wisconsin area from Alaska Shortly after christmas. One of the hardest things is for me to get wood up here. So I plan on using some of my baggage on the way home for wood. If the kids toys don't take up all the available space. I have done this before. It diesn't cause any problems with the airlines. What I am looking for is anyone who may have some nicer wood that would be worth while in the area of the Twin Cities.

Or if anyone knows of a cost effective way to ship to Alaska please help me.

Todd

Wood AK

I do not know how to determine "cost effective", but check with your local U.S. Post Office, and ask about "Flat Rate Boxes". If you do not use any insurance, it is $7.50 from/to anywhere in the USA and that includes AK. There is a 70-pound limit, I cut a piece of green Cherry to exactly fit the box, and it was only 13 pounds. Plus, the USPS gives you the box at no extra cost. These are not huge boxes. Check it out. You can even order the boxes on line, and the delivery is free.

What! You don't like Birch, Poplar, Aspen, Black Spruce, White Spruce, Tamarack, itty bitty Alder, and fifteen million species of Willow? Oh brother. Just gotta have Cherry, Pecan, Oak, or something I guess... :rolleyes:

The airline is the easiest way to go. I've done that a few times.

I've shipped stuff to my Dad up there before. It's easier if you know someone who has a business that consolidates several shipments in a specific location. I purchased some fine blacksmithing coal near my brothers consolidation warehouse in Washington, had it delivered there, and they shipped it to my brother in Alaska, and he put some of it in Dad's stocking a few years ago... Heh! :D

Maybe this will give you a few ideas.

Good luck getting that stuff home, and stay warm this winter.

Website
www.rjcutler.com
Lived in Alaska many years and sending or recieving wood was very costly....we did however make some trips out of the state and had it shipped via barge at a good price. Problem is you have to ship a lot.

Website
www.rjcutler.com
BtW you have some beautiful wood up there. Here is a link to some pics of turnings done in (primarily) Alaskan woods. The Hero (my Hubby) has been turning Alaskan wood many years, and combines birch, diamond willow, poplar and aspen then inlays with readily available fossil ivories and bone as well as copper, silver and brass. You have it right there for you.
www.rjcutler.com click on past work to see what your Alaskan wood can become. Hope this inspires you to not feel to deprived of fine wood.

Get yourself information on turners in the area and get some preturned stuff. Folks who drive all the way up to my place get chunks and blocks, but those who have to fly get dry roughs off the shelf so they can take more home in the same space and weight. You may have to settle for a smaller range of artistic expression, depending on how thin they cut them, but you'll have more to work with overall.

Don't know how others would work it, but I would be careful about offering money, lest they be insulted. Trade goods would be nice. I know I always regretted not buying an oosick to keep as a conversation piece, but three stripes and a wife didn't pay well enough. That would get some nicely figured burl.

Wood

Dear Dogdriver,
My name is Greg Kaldor, I am a woodturner that turns primarily upscale bowls in birdseye and curly maple. I have in supply a large amount of cured quarter sawn wood that is offcut from my bowl blanks. I also have on hand spalted maple and a lot of dry spindle material in cherry and birdseye for boxes and the like. There is also many dry roughed out bowls in small to large dia. I have a large woodshed that is filled with this stuff. It would be possible for me to cut off custom bowl blanks on the spot if so desired. I live in Pembine, Wi. which is about 80 miles North of Green Bay on Hwy. 141. My phone no. is 1-715-324-5611 if you want give me a call. My prices will be very reasonable.

Back