• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Good Bandsaw for a Wood Turner

I have the ceramic guides on my Laguna 16HD, which has ceramic guides. It has a 1 1/4 inch wide blade for cutting slabs. It gets very little build up, I think mostly due to the wider set to the teeth. The height adjustment was damaged in shipping and I had to armstrong it back into 'close enough' shape. I don't have the guides actually touching the blade. My small saw has a 3 tpi 1/2 inch blade, and roller guides. It gets really gunked up when cutting wet madrone.

robo hippy

What I've seen others say is that rubbing guides (as opposed to rolling) tend to sweep the debris off the blade. But I have no first hand experience.

Website
www.GrattanCreek.com
Are ceramic guides better for green wood?
I have a Grizzly G0555LX. It came with roller guides and I swapped them out for solid guides. It made a huge difference in the amount of wood goo stuck to the blade, guides and wheels. I am using Cool Blocks, which appear to be some sort of phenolic and show just a tiny bit of wear in a bit over a year of use. I might try ceramics when these wear out but that may be a while.
Grizzly sells guides and guide holders for the G0555 if that's what you have. I tried the solid guides that Grizzly sells and they wore ridiculously fast. The guide holders are just fine and very inexpensive. The guide blocks are a common size and easy to find.

Is there a blade cleaning device, made from say steel (wire wheel) or even stiff brass wire (not to touch the teeth)? Or spring loaded cleaning blocks (like brushes in a dc motor)?

There are brushes one can buy to install inside the doors, which are designed to brush off debris. I've got a carter commercial one for one saw, and I've seen DIY rigs with other brushes posted, so totally feasible to do.

There are brushes one can buy to install inside the doors, which are designed to brush off debris. I've got a carter commercial one for one saw, and I've seen DIY rigs with other brushes posted, so totally feasible to do.
The inexpensive (10" Wen) bandsaw I currently use has something like you describe or are you talking about something different? I'm planning on buying something larger and want to know what to look for. 20210426_121506.jpg

brian horais

Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.horais.com
I upgraded my year old Craftsman 9 inch bandsaw to a Laguna 14/12 a few years ago and have been very happy with my choice. The Laguna lets me do so many more things than I could do on my Craftsman such as cutting large logs that are 13 inches tall and over 20 inches in diameter. It can also make some very detailed cuts using the smaller (3/16 inch) blade. Laguna uses the ceramic blade guides and they work very well if you keep them aligned to the blade. If you tend to overwork your blade and force cuts, the ceramic guides can get out of alignment and the cuts are not as controllable. The quality of parts in the Laguna is impressive. I was considering a Rikon 14 inch for $100 less but when I compared the two bandsaws in the local Woodcraft store I chose the Laguna. Getting a capable bandsaw will really expand your woodturning horizons.

This is good to hear. The only real complaint I've heard on Laguna bandsaws is the lower table height vs others (Rikon, for ex). Seeing one in person it seemed fine, though I am nearly 6'3.

I'm looking at the 14BX and a few others. Right now, many of the bandsaws I like are severely backordered, but I can take my time. The only thing I can't decide is if the 14" will do everything I need long term vs the next size up. It seems a 14 would be fine.

One attractive thing is Rikon has a 5yr warranty and a slightly lower price and they seem comparable saws (in the 14" range)

Last edited:

brian horais

Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.horais.com
Allen, I find the 14 inch to be very adequate for my needs in woodturning. The only thing missing on my 14/12 is a blade foot brake. I think the model you are looking at (14BX) has a foot brake. The Rikon has rollers for blade positioning if I remember correctly.

Well, it is fairly simple to raise the bandsaw up higher. For cutting height, I liked the 16 inch height, not that I use it much, but I do have it if I need it, and that extra little bit can be handy for chainsaw cut blanks until you true them up.

I think every bandsaw should have a foot brake. at least every bandsaw that is floor mounted. 'Those cast iron wheels can spin a long time after you are done cutting.

robo hippy

I think every bandsaw should have a foot brake. at least every bandsaw that is floor mounted. 'Those cast iron wheels can spin a long time after you are done cutting.

robo hippy
I'm glad i wasn't in mid-sip when i read that "floor mounted" part--had an instant mental picture of myself with a foot hung up on a workbench trying to stop a blade with a foot brake!!
earl

I have both the Harvey T-40 lathe and the Harvey Ambassador C14 bandsaw. Both are good quality machines, and satisfy my turning needs well.

I use the bandsaw for all my cutting needs, because I don’t have room for a table saw in my shop. I cut blanks, resaw, and even cut segments and staves—just about everything on this saw. It comes with excellent, easy to adjust roller bearing blade guides, nice cast iron trunion under the table, and standard 3/4” miter gauge slots. Yes, it also has a foot brake. It doesn’t come with a miter gauge, which was OK for me because I bought a small Incra miter gauge for cutting segments,

Almost any bandsaw can produce good cuts. The trick to good cuts is using a good blade and switching to the correct blade for a particular application. Some folks are a bit lazy and don’t take the time to switch blades, and they get poor results. I happen to use Timberwolf blades, but there are several good blade manufacturers out there.

When it comes to size, a 14 inch seems to meet all my needs. I have had both smaller and larger bandsaws, but this 14 inch works well for me.

Finally, as mentioned by Brian, don’t force your cuts, let the saw do the cutting. Over time, you will get a “feel” for your saw and you will know if you are forcing the cuts. The quality of your cut will show if you forced the cut as well.

Good luck in your search. If you decide on the Harvey, I think you will be happy with your purchase,

I have a Harvey Alpha 615 HW (I believe that's the model designation) along with a Delta with a riser block. The Harvey is an outstanding machine...The Alpha is more expensive than the Ambassador but has the Harvey top of the line fit and finish...also use a gyro dust processor which is comfortably quiet running next to the lathe...another topic for another time.

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
For someone wanting to make bowls, and looking to buy a bandsaw.....the most important specification is the maximum cutting height. When I bought my Grizzly 16" bandsaw, I was a newbie, and didn't know that. I recently replaced that bandsaw with a Grizzly G0817 14" bandsaw that has a cutting height of 14". I needed the extra height to deal with some nice exotic burls that I have access to.

-----odie-----

Attachments

• Shop September 2014 (12).JPG
    Shop September 2014 (12).JPG
    467.4 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0978.JPG
    IMG_0978.JPG
    360.5 KB · Views: 20
I have a Laguna 14/12 and have been very happy with it. I got the movable base accessory in case I need to change the saw's position. The bandsaw is very well made and has no problem cutting through 12 and even 13 inch thick log slices. I did some research and looked at the Rikon 14 inch, but chose the Laguna because it looked like it was higher quality. You can get it for less than $1100 on sale
love my Laguna too

A little trading around and I got this 17", 2HP Griz. It's like new and in the end I've got $450 in it. Which is within my retired budget. I peeled the giant anniversary bear sticker off the front, it was too much LOL. Can't even tell it was ever there.

Now I'm trying to decide on reasonably priced good performing blades.

Attachments

• IMG_3506.jpeg
    IMG_3506.jpeg
    542 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
Lennox Diemaster Bimetal blades. Not the cheapest, but the best value by a long shot. Cut longer and straighter than any other blade.

robo hippy

Lennox Diemaster Bimetal blades. Not the cheapest, but the best value by a long shot. Cut longer and straighter than any other blade.
I saw your recommendations in other threads. I looked for this blade but couldn't find anyone who carries it at the proper size/pitch. What's your source? Was thinking you had a local guy make yours? All I saw was teh Diemaster II now, at way higher pitches than 3tpi

I don't see tpi on bladeserpent link. The bandsawbladesdirect link shows lowest they go is 6tpi. That what you use? Seems very high for thick green wood. Maybe for dry wood...

I've been considering these for green wood prep, they have other's recommendations:

@my 131.5 length, in no particular order:

$31 - Timberwolf

$30 - Highland - in an old thread users reported love them hate them due to QC issues.

$23 - Stockroom Supply - guy does great bandsaw videos

$41 - Carter Products/Accuright - everyone with a bandsaw knows who they are

$29 - Supercut

Anyone have current input/opinions on these, for thick green wood? 2HP motor.

Last edited:
I’ve had really good luck ordering blades from Spectrum Supply. I like the Flexback blades since they are thinner and less likely to fatigue and crack on my small 14” wheels. Hey also sell #32 woodworking blades which are pretty much the same as he highland green wood blades (if you get the raker set) but are a lot cheaper ($15 for my size blade plus shipping)
Spectrum Supply #32 blades

Kent: their website recommends the flex back for under 15’ blades. Mine is about 11’. What tooth config do you use? They’ve got raker, raker skip, raker hook, alt hook. No idea which is best.

I use the flex back 3/8” 3tpi raker hook. Shipping is a little pricey but if you order several at once the savings is significant. And I didn’t have the problems with the band cracking like I did with the highland green wood blades.

I've standardized on Timberwolf blades for both my 16" WT and 14" delta. I've tried others, with varying degrees of result, but seem to get better life and cuts from the Timberwolf blades. Get mine from Suffolk supply. Perhaps more important than blade brand is the tooth style and count, for the type of cutting being done.

I've standardized on Timberwolf blades for both my 16" WT and 14" delta. I've tried others, with varying degrees of result, but seem to get better life and cuts from the Timberwolf blades. Get mine from Suffolk supply. Perhaps more important than blade brand is the tooth style and count, for the type of cutting being done.
Specifically in this case for 6-8” green wood. Rips and bowl blanks

I buy my blades from Oregon Industrial supply, a local saw shop. Do check with saw shops close by. If they don't have them, they may be able to tell you who does have them. I use a 1/2 inch 3 tpi blade for cutting rounds, and a 1 1/4 with tooth spacing at about 3/4 inches apart for cutting slabs. This blade is similar to what the portable bandsaw mills use. I always get the thicker blades, and don't know how thick they are. The thing that causes most blades to break is not having the thrust bearing set properly and not lowering the upper guide down close to the wood. This makes the back of the blade flex backwards and the cracks start on the back side of the blade. If you see the blade oscillating front to back while spinning, this means there are cracks on the back of the blade. Other than that, if you are trying to cut a piece that doesn't sit flat on the table, that piece will rock all over the place, and the blade usually binds up in the cut before it breaks. Hate that....

robo hippy

A little trading around and I got this 17", 2HP Griz. It's like new and in the end I've got $450 in it. Which is within my retired budget. I peeled the giant anniversary bear sticker off the front, it was too much LOL. Can't even tell it was ever there.

Now I'm trying to decide on reasonably priced good performing blades.
I have a 14" Ridgid with a riser block. When I added this carbide blade, all my problems went away. It cuts fast and true. Best investment I have ever made. $110. Have used it for 1 1/2 yrs and still going strong.

Pat

...They’ve got raker, raker skip, raker hook, alt hook. No idea which is best.
This discussion of teeth may help. I can't vouch for this web site in particular (just came up in a quick search), but I have seen similar information elsewhere.

What I haven't seen is a retailer/maker where the consumer chooses set and style of the teeth. So it hasn't been much of an issue for me.

Back