• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Grinder setup on lift system

I saw a nice setup for the low speed grinder yesterday and forgot to bookmark it or note it. It was a video of a lady who built a wood lathe stand with some drawers and a compartment for the grinder. The grinder was mounted on a lift system that allowed it to be brought out and up to sharpen turning tools. When done, it was folded (?) down back into the cabinet. I'm interested in this as it would give me a place for my grinder- handy when needed and out of the way while turning. Your help is appreciated.

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
Interesting concept, John........I haven't seen the video you mention, but it does remind me of some old commercial desks that have a platform that folds out for access to a typewriter. Consider that concept, and let your imagination bloom! :D

-----odie-----

Bill, you are amazing! That's it! Wonder where she got the lift mechanism? I'll play the video and see if it is mentioned.
Edit: It is a Kitchen Aid mixer lift. I'm thinking that it is too long for my lathe stand. Will check the dimensions.

Last edited:

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
I had to watch it several times before I noticed that there was a lathe and a grinder in the video. :D

The lift mechanism didn't appear to be very sturdy, but you might be able to find it at Rockler's since they are a sponsor. I don't think it would be sturdy enough to support my Delta grinder.

Looked at Rockler and it's $115, out of the budget. Went to Kitchen Aid website and got everything but what I wanted. Now to Plan B.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
It's just a parallel arm sort of mechanism. Would be easy to build one.

Not that easy. The fundamental design is not complex, but the implementation is unique enough to qualify for a patent. It has an adjustable balanced lift assist spring, latch mechanism, damper for lowering smoothly, and it's chrome plated so it won't rust when you slop cookie dough all over it. :)

I'll just put it on the shelf under my lathe, cover it to keep dust and shavings off. Then grunt and groan to put it on the TS. Unless I can come up with a better plan. Would like to put in on a wall shelf but either no room or electrical conduit is in the way. Meshuggah!

The lift she is using is something we use in our cabinets for residential customers. It is called an appliance lift and one place to look is Rev-a-shelf. Typically we use them for heavy mixers such as Kitchenaid. They are strong and we sell a lot of them.
206.jpg

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
The lift she is using is something we use in our cabinets for residential customers. It is called an appliance lift and one place to look is Rev-a-shelf. Typically we use them for heavy mixers such as Kitchenaid. They are strong and we sell a lot of them

My wife likes that, but also doesn't want to give up any storage space under the counter. :)

Everything fit very nicely.....lots of 90 degrees.....wood turning for myself is more visual fit although she makes the stand very easily visually

Familiar with Rev-A-Shelf, sold cabinetry several years ago. I don't have enough head room for it.

Stand alone would be crowded as floor space is very limited, too. I have to shuffle some things around to work. My router table is outside the shop in the basement. My BS and DP are on one small DIY table.

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
The lift mechanism didn't appear to be very sturdy

This was my impression also.......

It did look like the lady was using a very slow speed grinder with the shelf, though. It might work ok with that application, but anything higher speed will probably be too unstable, and will accentuate vibration. Any standard grinder will NEED a sturdy mount, or there will be nothing but frustration using it.....:eek:

-----odie-----

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Stand alone would be crowded as floor space is very limited, too. I have to shuffle some things around to work. My router table is outside the shop in the basement. My BS and DP are on one small DIY table.

My shop is so crowded that I don't even have room to change my mind.

I couldn't cuss a cat without getting a mouthful of fur! :D:D No further replies are necessary as we have examined all options except for my wife going back to work so I can afford to built a stand-alone shop. It that happens, watch out for flying pigs.

Wagner's Ride of the Valkeries is one of my favorite compositions. Or you can think of the Bugs Bunny cartoon using the same score.

Back