• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Grizzly Chuck

I am considering buying a Grizzly 4 jaw chuck. The type with the "T" handle for tightening -- 3.75 inch -- Model H 6267. Has anyone had experience with them and can you make a recommendation?

I will be traveling from Southen Oregon up to the Bellingham, WA area next week and thought I might pick it up and save shipping. Besides who can resist going to a "toy" store?

Thanks

I used the Grizzly 4-jaw that had the tommy bars, it worked fine for me for the price. I'm not a machinist and wouldn't know how to go about measuring the threads for pitch etc. but using the grizzly chuck on a grizzly lathe on would expect there to be a perfect fit :confused:

The threads seem to be miss-sized but don't know if it eas on the spindle or the chuck. Very slopply. Also ordered a chcuck and sent it back right away as it would spin true second one received was much better but still not right, accepted it anyway. I now have a new lathe and a new Nova chuck, life is good!

I was starting out with a very limited budget so it was acceptable and I addapted, it was all I could afford and I got what I paid for.

Frank D.

I have 2 Grizzly chucks, both are the same model (not the one with the T bar, rather with the tommy bars like WODAD describes. Both chucks have worked great, and I haven't had any problem with them.

BTW - Where in So Oregon are you - I am in Klamath Falls...

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I have the grizzley chuck that looks like the vicmarc chuck. I think it's about $100. I can highly recommend it. It's not as good as my vicmarcs but it certainly is worth the $100. all the parts will swap with my vicmarcs as well.

John must have had better luck than I had with the one I had. I already had a Vicmarc so I thought I would buy a Grizzly as a second chuck and could use the same jaws. The machining on mine was terrible, the jaws would barely fit, and tightening was tough due to sticking in the threads. I finally gave it away and bought a second Vicmarc. Others have had better things to say about the Grizzly but mine was $100 paperweight at best. If you buy one be sure to check it carefully in the store, I ordered mine online so I couldn't really compare it to others.

I have had the Grizzly chuck for over a year and I'm very pleased with it. At a price under $100, it represents an excellent value. I have also purchased some of the Vicmarc jaws and they work perfectly.

My club (Chesapeake Woodturners) has also purchased one for demos.

I'm not sure what the differences are between the Grizzly and Vicmarc, but, for the price difference, it doesn't matter.

I have that one along with replacement jaws (h6268 & h6269). I have had no problems with mine, works well. I've been told that Vicmarc jaws will interchange with this one. No complaints except I wish I had bought at $89 instead of $99

Paul

Which chuck to buy

When I purchased my 1st chuck I looked at the less expensive ones and I'm sure that a lot of people use them with success. LOML said you mean you are going to buy something cheap and put wood in it and have it spin around and possibly come loose and hit you :eek: - I said well I can save some money. That did not fly - I purchased 1st of many vicmarc and they have been a very good investment.

One of the Grizzly chucks (can't find the paperwork to get model #) is my absolute favorite of all the ONE chucks that I own at present. Has dovetail style jaws, operates with T-handle Allen-type tool, grips well inside and out, does not seem to center particularly well, and/but cost only about $89. It's a useful tool, and I rate it acceptable value for the money, especially when compared to the expensive alternatives.

Chucks

I have the Grizzly mod 6265 (1"x8tpi), and the two jaw sets offered optionally.
I also have the VicMarc mod 100. I can say that the VM100 is smoother operating than the Grizzly, but they both work fine. Plus, all of the jaws interchange perfectly between the two chucks.
Gil

Thanks

Thanks to all of you who responded. It was very helpful and it looks like I will make the trip to Bellingham next Friday for the chuck. Too bad I have to wite until Monday and drive all the way home to southern Oregon before I get to try it.

Back