• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Happy Solstice!

Just wanted to wish everybody on the forums a happy solstice and a merry new year. As turners we are all often caught up in the works of man. Every now and then it's nice to step back and take a look at the beauty the universe offers us.

Peace

My wife and I used to live in an old farm house that was built plumb and square to the earth. Our attic bedroom had two diamond windows in the east and west dormers and our bed lay under one of them.

Twice a year, at the spring and fall equinoxes, we'd wake up to a sunrise through the far diamond and watch the sun's rays pass perfectly through the window over our own bed.

The Earth has its own rhythms, and they're beautiful when listened to.

And the really good news is that the days will finally start getting longer. The short days wear on me this time of year. Bad enough that my wife bought me a "happy light" to put by my computer :D

Back