• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Has anyone Tried This Tool???

B

Brian Myers

laymarcrafts said:
I have been using a similar set up for many years and have detailed the making and use of it on my Web Site:

www.laymar-crafts.co.uk/tip38.htm

It works well and I have three versions that covers my needs all for a few Pence [Cents].

Richard

Richard,
You get my vote for best turning website and most ambitious. :cool2: Thanks for all your hard work that you are willing to share.
Brian

Thanks for the replies Richard and Brian. Between the three sources I should be able to make one of these mandrels fairly easy.

GA Darling

Website
www.harderwoods.com
A few years back I was doing one of my favorite activities: wandering through a hardware store looking for gadgets that could be used for woodturning, even if that's not what they were designed for. I ran across one of these:

http://www.doityourself.com/invt/0274613

It's called a Long Stem Reseating Tool, you use it to clean out the gunk that builds up inside a water valve that makes it leak. Anyway, it looks exactly like a small version of a woodchucker mandrel. At the time I was doing mostly small scale turnings and it was just the right size. (about 10 inches long) It has a screw on reamer on the end. I found that a rubber pad would protect the inside of your vase and not slip too much. The plastic cone slides into the neck of the vase. You can use a small hose clamp around the shaft to hold the cone in place. The T handle is easily removed so that the shaft can be inserted into a jacobs chuck. Plus, when you are not using it to hold your small vase on the lathe, you can use it to repair those leaky water valves by the garden.

I remember paying under $3 for one at a discount hardware store somewhere.

Website
www.beyondbark.com
I hae been using something similar for a while now. I had a machiniest friend of mine turn a morse #2 taper on a piece of round bar and thred a whole in the other end. i screwed a table leg foot into the other end and stuck some velcro on it. The adjustable part is a piece of nylon plastic. with a locking screw on the side.

I mainly use in to finish the bottom of deep hollow forms and vases.

All in all if Craftsupply had this when i was looking for it i would have bough it insted of making it.

Back