• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Headstock Spindle Adapters

New to turning, primarily focused on small spindle work. I have a mini lathe and the headstock size is 3/4 x 16 tpi. I would like to get a chuck to turn small bowls and such. My question is: should I get a chuck with the same headstock size or opt for a larger size chuck (1 1/4 x 8 tpi) and get an adapter? My concern is the adapters I see would move the chuck farther away from the headstock and may increase the wobble effect (if any). I plan on getting a larger lathe at some point so the larger chuck would still be used. As I write this I realize that it's not that much money and I should just get what fits but I thought I would throw the question out there.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
concern is the adapters I see would move the chuck farther away from the headstock and may increase the wobble effect (if any).
Most chucks are made with insert adapters. So they are nearly equivalent to tapped chuck.
Might look at the ONEWAY talon. I know it has a 3/4x16 adapter.

The 3/4 16 is a bit small for bowls. You did say small bowls.
But usually a small motor comes with the 3/4 16.

That said, you can do a lot with those machines. When we taught kids at MD Hall we had carbs tech lathes.
Those lathes needed a break every 45 minutes or the blew a fuse.

We did did all spindle type projects in the classes spin tops, whistles, boxes, pens, key fobs, gavels, napkin ring
Capable lathe as long as they got a break.

New to turning, primarily focused on small spindle work. I have a mini lathe and the headstock size is 3/4 x 16 tpi. I would like to get a chuck to turn small bowls and such. My question is: should I get a chuck with the same headstock size or opt for a larger size chuck (1 1/4 x 8 tpi) and get an adapter? My concern is the adapters I see would move the chuck farther away from the headstock and may increase the wobble effect (if any). I plan on getting a larger lathe at some point so the larger chuck would still be used. As I write this I realize that it's not that much money and I should just get what fits but I thought I would throw the question out there.
I just bought a 3/4 -16 adapter for my axminster live center that is made to adapt to a 1 1/4 chuck. I haven't any good tools to check for run out but it seems like a quality part. definitely heavy duty. kind of cashy though. best wood tools https://bestwoodtools.store.turbify.net/prstspadwith.html

part# AD-002

Thanks everyone, more research now in the works but it looks like inserts are the way to go. I do mean small bowls, I have some 8/4 maple boards left over all under 6" wide so they are shallow pieces. If I push this lathe too hard it does shut off for a bit until it cools. I have access to a larger lathe so I just have to pick projects accordingly. The mini lathe keeps me plenty busy even if I'm just practicing cuts. I was also hoping the chuck would enable me to hold spindle stock without the tailstock once I have pared the stock down. I'm thinking about the end of a finial for instance. Thanks again.

Your concerns about an adapter are spot on. The more a piece is cantilevered away from the headstock, the more vibration you will get, especially with bowls. I had an adapter once, and got rid of it and bought a chuck specifically for my mini lathe, or midi...... 12 inch lathe. Most chucks have a removable insert to account for all the different threads out there. With an insert, you can change that when you get a bigger lathe. One can never have too many chucks.... You have entered the vortex!

robo hippy

Your concerns about an adapter are spot on. The more a piece is cantilevered away from the headstock, the more vibration you will get, especially with bowls. I had an adapter once, and got rid of it and bought a chuck specifically for my mini lathe, or midi...... 12 inch lathe. Most chucks have a removable insert to account for all the different threads out there. With an insert, you can change that when you get a bigger lathe. One can never have too many chucks.... You have entered the vortex!

robo hippy
Thanks robo, I'm going to start with a chuck made for this lathe. I think the added stability will help me focus on improving my skills rather than trying to push the limits of the lathe. There are plenty of small projects to keep me busy. So, once in the vortex does anyone really want to leave?

I’ve used a small chuck on a 3/4” headstock on my Taig micro lathe for a few years now. During Covid lockdowns, when I couldn’t get to a large lathe, I produced dozens of small bowls, finials, etc. The small chuck was invaluable. But even it ate up available length. And a “full sized” chuck would add substantial weight. I would recommend not using an adapter. I use 2” Record Power chuck; it has various jaw types.

I’ve used a small chuck on a 3/4” headstock on my Taig micro lathe for a few years now. During Covid lockdowns, when I couldn’t get to a large lathe, I produced dozens of small bowls, finials, etc. The small chuck was invaluable. But even it ate up available length. And a “full sized” chuck would add substantial weight. I would recommend not using an adapter. I use 2” Record Power chuck; it has various jaw types.
Hi Michael, I just looked at the Record Chuck "SC1". I think that's the best bet for me. Thanks for your help.

Hello Mark.

all the advice you have gotten on this topic is good. There are a number of company's who make lathe tools . Pen State. https://www.pennstateind.com/ sells a number of good lathe accessories at a fair price.
It cant hurt to check them out. the 3/4" headstock is not a hard one to find, It was used for years on many old lathes, With bowl turning be more prevalent today, larger shafts are needed to turn larger/header loads that
bowl turning requires. Pen state dose sell a number of adaptors that might work out well for you.

Wish you luck.

C.A.G.

I was also hoping the chuck would enable me to hold spindle stock without the tailstock once I have pared the stock down. I'm thinking about the end of a finial for instance. Thanks again.
I have often done that and I would say that the "OneWay" chucks with the profile jaws are the best way to go but dovetail jaws or spigot jaws will also work or you can round off the piece between centers then move to the chuck for finish work. The picture below shows a finial threaded lid made from a square piece then used to hold the urn body for finishing the base.
DSC01430.JPG

I have often done that and I would say that the "OneWay" chucks with the profile jaws are the best way to go but dovetail jaws or spigot jaws will also work or you can round off the piece between centers then move to the chuck for finish work. The picture below shows a finial threaded lid made from a square piece then used to hold the urn body for finishing the base.
View attachment 59739
THIS Nice.

thank you .

C.A.G.

Back