• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Help!!! I am looking for parts for a Teknatool Nove DVR 3000

Good evening all,
I am desperately looking for parts to bring my dear old Nova DR 3000 back from the dead. It is my favorite lathe and after many years of faithful service, it finally gave of the ghost. In particular, I am looking for a replacement control board. As I said, this is my favorite lathe and I would rather repair it than replace it. If anybody has a control board to sell or has any ideas on how I can get it working again, it would be greatly appreciated.

Best wishes,
Tim I.

Hey Mark,
I did reach out to Nova. They have been very helpful when I had issues in the past am that held true this time. Unfortunately, with the microchip shortage and with it being a discontinued model, they didn’t have a replacement control boards. At one time, they made an upgrade for the board but they didn’t have any of those in stock either.

Oh. Well, poop then.
Yup, kinda sucks. I pulled the board and found an area that looked a little burnt. The electronics tech instructor at the local school district career tech center is a friend of mine. I asked him to take a look at it so hopefully, he can work some magic and bring it back to life. More to Come

The only positive thought I can offer is that if it comes to a new lathe, all the features of the DVR 3000 are available in other Nova models. Or maybe you can find a used DVR 3000 that's running?

That is definitely a thought that has been going thru my mind. One quick question, do Accessories for the DVR 3000 work on the new Nova lathes? i have a couple bed extensions and other things I would like to keep using.

Me? I think it's a good company, but I don't know anything about that lathe.

If you're starting to cast about for a replacement lathe I'd start by listing what made the DVR 3000 your favorite, and what were it's shortcomings.

I had a Nova 2024 that died about 9 months ago because the motor stopped working and it turns out that the motor is an inseparable part of the headstock and Nova has no more 2024 headstocks, new or used. So I ended up selling off parts of that lathe and buying a Grizzly G0766. Anyway, I still have the headstock sitting in my garage because I never got around to disposing of it. I have no idea whether the control board in my headstock would work for yours. But you can have it if you want it (and if I can figure out how to take it out of the headstock). Let me know if you want me to try to get the control board out.

David

If you get to looking at that Laguna, you’re halfway to a Robust American Beauty. Might be worth reaching out to Lyle Jamieson in Traverse City, he’s a dealer probably has something you could demo, either American Beauty or a Sweet 16. I’ve got a Sweet 16, and I used an AB at a week long class in Kalamazoo a few months ago. Now I just need to develop MY skills!
Earl

What are your thoughts about the Laguna Revo 2436?
I've been using the Revo 18/36 220v 2HP for 3 years. It has plenty of power for the 10-12" bowls I turn. Its a heavy machine but can be moved around with the optional casters if you have limited space. The fit and finish are excellent. Speed control is excellent. I would expect its big brother 2436 to be the same. Laguna usually has a 10% off sale if you can wait.

That is definitely a thought that has been going thru my mind. One quick question, do Accessories for the DVR 3000 work on the new Nova lathes? i have a couple bed extensions and other things I would like to keep using.
My understanding is that the DVR 3000 has a different lathe bed than the DVR XP and the extensions are not comparable.

I had a Nova 2024 that died about 9 months ago because the motor stopped working and it turns out that the motor is an inseparable part of the headstock and Nova has no more 2024 headstocks, new or used. So I ended up selling off parts of that lathe and buying a Grizzly G0766. Anyway, I still have the headstock sitting in my garage because I never got around to disposing of it. I have no idea whether the control board in my headstock would work for yours. But you can have it if you want it (and if I can figure out how to take it out of the headstock). Let me know if you want me to try to get the control board out.

David
Hey David. Board still available?

Back