• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

History/Background on Continental Gouges

Curious about the continental gouge - how/why was it developed? Where is it more common than the more common "American style" spindle roughing gouge?

After reading a couple years ago it could yield a fairer convex or concave curve than a spindle gouge I purchased a small one and found that to be true. The American style SRG also can yield a fairer curve than a spindle gouge, but doesn't fit the hand as well and is heavier. Both the continental gouge and American style SRG are forged. Wish I had purchased a larger one

The continental style was the original design, though I dont know when it came about. Forged from flat steel before milling machines were around to carve the flute out of bar stock.

I don’t find them much different to use than a bar stock spindle gouge, except the vibrate at less overhang. I have 3/4” & 1”, and they are good for fairing slighter curvatures. They are not as stiff as an srg, and neither is very strong with the tang for the handle.

I would think that the continental style gouge was easier to forge than the more standard SRG, which is pretty much half round. They were used on bowls a lot then too since there were no 'real' bowl gouges. I do have one small continental gouge, and one big one. Got the big one just because I am curious....

robo hippy

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
This is from Roy hild

The traditional forged spindle gouges were forgotten as well, as all the makers adopted the milling process to make gouges cheaply. Now everyone makes gouges by milling them out of round section material. I am not so sure that it was such a good idea to make spindle gouges out of round but we are all used to them. The recent resurgence of the forged HSS spindle gouge shows how much better the flatter shape is. Both Henry Taylor and Robert Sorby now make some really nice forged HSS spindle gouges. But why does Robert Sorby call them the "Continental" shape?

If someone wants to play around with larger continental gouges, 3/4& 1”, this set of harbor freight tools has them, they are hss, and are over 60 Rc hardness (I have a set from ~12 yrs ago, tested hardness with Rc hardness test files). I still use most of the tools (especially to try new grinds etc). One of the hf “gems” IMO.

WINDSOR DESIGN High Speed Steel Wood Turning Set, 8 Piece - Item 61794 / 35444 https://hftools.com/app61794

Last edited:
I think harbor freight is discontinuing that set. I have it too and they work well enough while being cheap enough that I don't mind trying a new grind. Looks like they have a new set under their Bauer line to replace it.

I recently started using continental/forged gouges and they are indeed wonderful for those flowing long curves. Dan, you can still get yourself a large one. Hartville Hardware (also the supplier if you search them on Amazon) has 1" and 1 1/4" Crown forged gouges. I picked up both, as well as a 3/4" Crown in M42.

I have one, a Henry Taylor HS 41 3/4" spindle gouge. I hadn't even realized or given it much thought that that was what it is. It was part of a set I bought thirty years ago from Lee Valley when I set up my shop. Works fine and I am used to it. I will have to pay more attention to any differences between that and round-bar gouges. Taylor still makes it.

This is from Roy hild

The traditional forged spindle gouges were forgotten as well, as all the makers adopted the milling process to make gouges cheaply. Now everyone makes gouges by milling them out of round section material. I am not so sure that it was such a good idea to make spindle gouges out of round but we are all used to them. The recent resurgence of the forged HSS spindle gouge shows how much better the flatter shape is. Both Henry Taylor and Robert Sorby now make some really nice forged HSS spindle gouges. But why does Robert Sorby call them the "Continental" shape?
It may be that they never actually stopped making forged gouges in countries like Germany?

Edit: Kirschen have been around since 1858 so I suspect they’ve been making forged gouges for many years. Forged spindle gouges work just fine, so why stop making them?

Last edited:
I have one, a Henry Taylor HS 41 3/4" spindle gouge. I hadn't even realized or given it much thought that that was what it is. ... Taylor still makes it.

For reference, here is the flute profile on my 1-1/4" HT

HT Continental gouge.JPG

Apologies for image quality. It was taken 15yrs ago before better photos could be taken with your mobile phone.

Randy Anderson

Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Website
www.etsy.com
Good thread. Got me motivated to get a "real" one. A while back I repurposed my 1" SRG into something very close to a continental gouge and use it all the time for shaping the outside of large hollow forms. After some basic rough form shaping with the traditional 2" SRG I use the modified 1" to work very close to final shape. Still have to be a bit careful with it but it's a great tool for taking off a good bit of material with decent control over long curves on a 30" hollow form.

Back