• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Holding and Positioning Your Dust Hood

Tom Gall

TOTW Team
I have a piece of mesh from a discarded fly screen over the mouth of my dust hood to catch the sandpaper that I inevitably let slip while I'm sanding.
Regular (fly) screening probably inhibits maximum air movement. I have a section of 1/2" hardware cloth over my opening.

If you want it for collecting sanding dust, use 2 1/2" Loc-Line. It is self supporting, adjustable to any position and stays there. I mounted it using electrical strut channel from Lowes. I also mounted a light using the same strut channel, and I'm going to mount the monitor for my video hollower when I get a chance. Loc-Line 24" long can be purchased at Amazon for under $30. Had to turn a coupler to connect the shop vac to Loc-Line, but otherwise it was a simple installation.

Loc-Line Lathe Hose 2.jpgLoc-Line Lathe Hose 1.jpg

Tom Gall

TOTW Team
@Dave Mueller Is that used with a shop vac or dust collector? Most dust collectors that I'm familiar with have 4-6"ø hoses & fittings. Shop vacs are noisy and could overheat with continued use.

I have a plastic dust hood held up by a microphone gooseneck like this:
41eZ4RS2LtL._SL1109_.jpg

The gooseneck is mounted to the lathe stand with a flange mount:

51UE+imZ58L._AC_SL1200_.jpg

The hood is connected with a small adapter piece fastened with a bolt to a hole drilled in the hood:

71e6+UxxjRL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Anybody have a solution for the front of lathe? When I am turning the outside of a bowl all the dust chips etc shoot in the opposite direction as my dust hood. Behind the lathe I have a 6” port attached to a 38” tv bracket attched to a metal pole near the cage mount.

Anybody have a solution for the front of lathe? When I am turning the outside of a bowl all the dust chips etc shoot in the opposite direction as my dust hood. Behind the lathe I have a 6” port attached to a 38” tv bracket attched to a metal pole near the cage mount.
Dust collection doesn't work well for chips. There are way to many unless turning small items. It is best used when sanding.
I clean up chips using a snow shovel and put them in 65 gallon trash bags.

Made mine telescope toward the lathe 4" powertec duct slides into 4" S&D

Attachments

• PSX_20240227_182601.jpg
    PSX_20240227_182601.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 35
@Dave Mueller Is that used with a shop vac or dust collector? Most dust collectors that I'm familiar with have 4-6"ø hoses & fittings. Shop vacs are noisy and could overheat with continued use.
I can confirm this! When I first started I used my old shop vac.. one day it started billowing dark black smoke. I took it to the driveway to cool down and took apart. The armature wrapping was roasted

Website
tamperista.com
Hi Walter. I'll add a couple of pictures to this old thread, just to keep it interesting. I have an old Rockler dust intake that I used for years at a sanding lathe, and I've attached it to the wall behind my turning lathe. I'm not sure if the part is still available from the source, since things come in and go out of fashion.

I'm typically make dozens of same-sized parts in runs, in the current case handles for custom coffee scoops made from upcycled steam radiator vents. That means that I can keep the same setup for weeks at a time, once I have a setup that works for the specific size part I'm making. I have the dust hose connected to a small Dust Deputy and a stand-alone vacuum because the main shop Clear Vue is overkill for the small amount of dust I get from turning those small spindles.

Attachments

• 20240317_082633.jpg
    20240317_082633.jpg
    622.8 KB · Views: 30
  • 20240317_082538.jpg
    20240317_082538.jpg
    518.3 KB · Views: 30
Back