• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Holtzapffel & Deyerlein

Website
www.darawoodworks.com
I'm looking for some guidance on this ornamental lathe, It is for sale not too far from me but I have not seen it and am not certain that it is complete. Can anyone tell by these two photos if it appears complete? I think if any parts were required they would be very hard to find as it was made in 1805. any advice or comments are appreciated thanks in advance.
compound.jpgHoltzapffel & Deyerlein No 859.jpg

Jon

Website
www.rogueturner.com
Dave -- That is most would consider a "project lathe". It is no where near complete and doesn't appear to include any of the myriad accessories you'll need to get up and running.

That said, the biggest issue to me, for anyone considering buying something like that is that the vintage is prior to the time when threads became standardized, meaning you won't be able to just pop over to your local hardware store (or even god's hardware store as I call it, McMaster-Carr) and pick up replacement screws.

If you just want a restoration project, that might be a candidate. But if you want to do some actual turning, keep looking.

Cheers,

--Jon

Website
www.darawoodworks.com
Hi Jon, thank you for taking the time to reply. I appreciate your input and have moved on. Even if this was usable now it is very limited being such an early model. I have enough on my plate and would rather a working machine with lots of capability and yes screws and parts I can source. It is a trip down the rabbit hole but a fun trip. Cheers

Back