• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Holzapfel lathe vs everything else

Hello everyone.
As I see it the Holzapfel lathe is the grand farther to all the OT world. even though it is more like a modern steel lathe then , a wood lathe that we know of today.

I own a Legacy Ornamental Mill, (its more or less a router lathe.) It works along the same lines as the Holzapfel lathe, except it uses a router to cut the wood vs/instead of a universal cutting frame , that you see on most OT equipment.

Since I want to compare apple to apples. (so to speak) I would like to know more about the jigs and tools that made the Holtz. lathe the King of the OT world.
Most of the articles that I can find are about the Rose engine lathe. I own 4 of the Holtz. books and have tried to read them all but, if I'm 100% honest, the old English is hard to read, and even harder to understand.
CAN anyone point the way to a source , that I can see and learn form. so I can become a better OT/wood turner?

C.A.G.

P.S. Here are a few pix. of some of my works.

Attachments

• Smoke tree gavel 6.JPG
    Smoke tree gavel 6.JPG
    52.9 KB · Views: 33
  • chatter wave 2.JPG
    chatter wave 2.JPG
    153.7 KB · Views: 34
  • cup 3 RED.jpg
    cup 3 RED.jpg
    995.1 KB · Views: 33
  • firewood turning3RED.jpg
    firewood turning3RED.jpg
    389.5 KB · Views: 33

RichColvin

Super Moderator
Staff member
OTI Member
Website
www.colvintools.com
Curt,

I had a similarly tough time getting started with ornamental turning. That is why I documented what I leaned in the Ornamental Turning Book of Knowledge and have made it available to anyone for free with no ads. That was transferred to the Ornamental Turners Int’l and can be accessed at OrnamentalTurners.info (or https://ornamentalturners.com/wiki/index.php).

On that site is a listing of some great books for ornamental turner (click on Books). I can highly recommend Ornamental Turnery, by Frank Knox. It was written in 1986 so it is very recent and much more readable. Also quite good is Woodturning Wizardry, by T.D. Walshaw. That is also relatively recent, having been written in 1990.

If you want to better understand the Holtzapffel lathes, check out the Plumier Foundation (https://plumier.org/) and John Edward’s web site (http://www.ornamentalturning.co.uk/). Interesting enough: of the ~1,200 lathes which the Holtzapffel company made, only 20 were rose engines.

Rich

Wow! Thank you for all the INFO.
I have talked to John Edwards in the past. Very nice man. I check the Plumier foundation often. but much of your posting is new to me.
Again Thank you.
Hope to talk to you more latter.

C.A.G.

Back