• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

How I used scraps for end grain vessel.

This is how I used up some scrap wood to make a vessel. The pictures attempt to show the steps. All rings contain 12 wedges.

Picture 1 is the finished vessel with end grain showing. The wedges are cut with the end grain against the fence of the sled. A face grain vessel could be made if the rings are cut with the face grain against the fence instead of the end grain.

Picture 2 is the glue up strips from scraps. Two glue up were used, one is cut at 90 degrees (cross grain) the other at 45 degrees.

Picture 3 is a closeup of the top ring that was made from the strips cut at 45.

Picture 4 is a closeup showing the end grain.

Attachments

• Picture1.jpg
    Picture1.jpg
    264.9 KB · Views: 46
  • Picture2.jpg
    Picture2.jpg
    504.4 KB · Views: 43
  • Picture3.jpg
    Picture3.jpg
    456.9 KB · Views: 41
  • Picture4.jpg
    Picture4.jpg
    468.5 KB · Views: 45
This is how I used up some scrap wood to make a vessel. The pictures attempt to show the steps. All rings contain 12 wedges.

Picture 1 is the finished vessel with end grain showing. The wedges are cut with the end grain against the fence of the sled. A face grain vessel could be made if the rings are cut with the face grain against the fence instead of the end grain.

Picture 2 is the glue up strips from scraps. Two glue up were used, one is cut at 90 degrees (cross grain) the other at 45 degrees.

Picture 3 is a closeup of the top ring that was made from the strips cut at 45.

Picture 4 is a closeup showing the end grain.
Curious. If you used end grain red oak, would it leak?
Pat

Back