• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

how is Capt. Eddie Castilin

Anyone heard how he's doing he had a brain tumor and his heart was doing things that the doctor's didn't know what to do. Any info would be great. he's from the Bayou Turners.

you can get updates on this Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Capn-Eddie-Castelin/293127100890043?fref=nf

if you don't "do" Facebook - here's the latest update (I believe they are posted by his daughter):

Sunday update from Management.
Well let's just say hes not a morning person.
PT here. I got back in the middle of it. He was not cooperative. Out of sorts.
Had not had breakfast yet. Again.
He asked them if they could make me leave. With the eye roll. Good. Humor back. He sat up on side of bed for 9 minutes this time. Very good.
Then breakfast. He can hold fork with left hand and feed himself. Can drink with left hand. PROGRESS.
He will be getting PT, OT and ST twice daily. Yay. He doesn't like it. Anyone surprised?
He's whipped. Told him he's earned a nap. He's resting.
And guess what's on TV again. Yep. Football. LMAO.

He is so skilled and entertaining. I have become better turner due to his demos. I send my thoughts and prayers.
Have fun. Stay safe.
Larry

Tom Gall

TOTW Team
Larry, are you aware that this thread dates back to 2014?
All or almost all of his recent posts are related to old 2014 posts. He is a new member and I guess he is reading all the old discussions. Bringing these back may help some others as well as Larry. :)

@Doug: I have absolutely no idea about his present health.
Just wanted to make Larry Mercier aware, that this thread dates back to 2014,
not breaking news.
Sorry if I added confusion instead of removing it as intended.

Cap'n Eddie is still dealing with some health issues, but he spends quite a bit of time in his new shop (they moved his lathe, drill press, etc. into a room in their house). He hosts a live Zoom meeting every Wednesday night of the woodturning club (World Wide Woodturners) he formed a few years ago. Info on the club available at https://worldwidewoodturners.org/

Went to his web site. Most of it is down. States he is going out of business and having a sale on remaining stock. When I first started turning his videoa were my mentor. Him and Robo Hippie Who got me over feeling guilty because I found scrapers to be great for hollowing out bowls.
Checked his youtube channel and it looks like he stopped production in 2020.

Back