• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

How many tools is to many?

R

Ron Sardo

taxman said:
So we've determined you can't have enough tools. As a new woodworker (who has already accumulated almost enough, just need that one more ...) I am looking for suggestions on storing and identifying them.

The best storage place is on your tablesaw :D Who uses a table saw anymore!

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I'm getting concerned about you guys who don't do segmented work. That's a very good excuse to get more tools. You need a better table saw, more saw blades, You buy a clamp everytime you go by a hardware store or flea mkt. Then of course theres the jointer, planer, thickness sander, disc sander. Tools, tools,tools, argh argh arrrrrgh.

underdog said:
Well,

I was going to say that you have too many tools when you forget that you already have one of those, and buy another just like it a few months later.... :p

This does not apply to utility knives, pencils and hardware, since you can never find a utility knife or pencil, and when you do, neither are sharp. Hardware doesn't count either, because it doesn't matter how many screws of X size you have on hand, it will be one or three short of the task at hand, so you might as well get them new. Ask anyone with three Phillips and two square drive screws holding his project together.

Be sure and buy two to drop when you get your hardware. That way you won't, and there will be two in that stash of bags or blister wraps inside that coffee can to frustrate you in the future.

On a lighter note, I did the bag sale at Menards while SWMBO and I were visiting the kids yesterday, and I got four new clamps, two of which were of a type I didn't already have.

Well done, Michael! The total will still not be enough, but every few more helps. You will surely need at least two more of that new type.

R

Ron Sardo

spinsdawood said:
The day after your death is when you have too many tools! :D

I don't get it... did you figure a way how to take your tools with you and just realized that they would be too heavy to carry all of them in one trip? :D :D :D

Back