• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

How we got our members on line for virtual meetings

Two weeks ago, our four-person executive team began experimenting with Zoom. We phoned a couple of key members in our club to join us, so we could all learn this easy software together.

Then we started Lancaster Woodturners Morning Coffee. We opened a Zoom room for an hour every morning for ten days. Every evening we contacted a few more members who had not yet checked in. We used the hour to orient the new guys, fool around with Zoom settings and controls, and best of all, just to hang out together. Quite a few of the members returned more than once, purely for the fellowship. By last night, 80% of our club was up and running, which made it possible to have great first meeting.

Lancaster Woodturners Coffee Hour will now be held on Zoom every Thursday at 9 am EDT. We would like to invite other AAW clubs who are thinking about this, to join us and see how it works. PM me, or find my info in the directory, and I’ll send you the link.

Back