• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Howard Hale

New turner since December, 2019. Long time woodworker but never turning. Always thought about it so decided to purchase a mini lathe and tools to start with pens to try it. If I did not like it, not too much lost. However, I found I do like it very much and started by joining a local club, Etowah River, and found a wealth of help. Have practiced so far with pens, small bowls and lidded boxes. OK, now the wife is having to search places to display the pieces, lol. At least for now she is still excited to get another piece, so my spending is tolerated. Can see a larger lathe coming in the near future. Have a long way to go to improve but having fun trying. I have been so impressed by the amazing, if not absolutely shocking, magic that turners can achieve with wood. Dang, this is more addictive that my flat work woodworking ever was.

Welcome. Good move to join a local chapter. It will be worth the time to attend the meetings plus a mentor of two that will help. I belong to the Dalton Area Woodturners Guild, just up the road.

Thank you John. I was surprised to find how many clubs there are in the general area. Having a mentor has been invaluable and was one main reason I decided to give turning a try. Sure has paid off. Everyone is so generous in sharing their experience.

Mark Hepburn

Artist & Chef
Howard, welcome! You've already no doubt found out that this is a very friendly place with a wealth of experience and people willing to share what they know. Hope you have a great time here.

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
New turner since December, 2019. Long time woodworker but never turning. Always thought about it so decided to purchase a mini lathe and tools to start with pens to try it. If I did not like it, not too much lost. However, I found I do like it very much and started by joining a local club, Etowah River, and found a wealth of help. Have practiced so far with pens, small bowls and lidded boxes. OK, now the wife is having to search places to display the pieces, lol. At least for now she is still excited to get another piece, so my spending is tolerated. Can see a larger lathe coming in the near future. Have a long way to go to improve but having fun trying. I have been so impressed by the amazing, if not absolutely shocking, magic that turners can achieve with wood. Dang, this is more addictive that my flat work woodworking ever was.
Welcome to the forum!!

Back