• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Ideal dogwood moisture

Randy Anderson

Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Website
www.etsy.com
Like Hockenbery says, turn it green now if you're doing a bowl or hollow form. Final thickness if natural edge or hollow form and 10% of bowl dia if twice turning a traditional. Once done set aside to dry - slowly. For me natural edge go in a brown paper bag. For traditional twice turned I seal and set aside. Once moisture gets to 13% or below in the thickest parts I go to next step.

Thank you. I’m going to put it in a dehydrator. It’s 39% right now. It’s for making some crosses. But I appreciate the 10% target. Am going to slab it and see if I can get it to the 10%.
Thank you so much.

Much depends on where you live I see little value of taking down below local ambient. But turning it green is the ideal way to go and by far the easiest. As long as you leave enough thickness for shrinkage etc it can vary between species.

If you are going to cut it into slabs, do that before you put it in a dehydrator. Whole logs do not dry well due to being too thick to dry evenly, which causes stress, which leads to cracking. Dogwood is fairly stable when dry, and has a smooth even grain.

robo hippy

Dogwood is one of the most dense, heavy and beautiful domestic hardwoods IMO, taking a lustrous finish. And some that I got from a neighbor was just loaded with pinkish cotton candy swirls. That said, it moves more than almost any other wood I can think of as it dries.

Dogwood Bowl.jpg

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Thank you. I’m going to put it in a dehydrator. It’s 39% right now. It’s for making some crosses. But I appreciate the 10% target. Am going to slab it and see if I can get it to the 10%.
Thank you so much.

I would caution you against putting it in a dehydrator because that is very likely to cause case hardening and cracking. If you want to use the wood to turn bowls and hollowforms it would be best to turn them green ... either rough-turned and slowly air-dried or turned to completion.

good for tool handles....9 months/9 years

Back