• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Imbedding Shells

I've seen platters and bowls with nut shells imbedded in the rim in a clear epoxy. I've also seen shells imbedded. I assume it takes a two part pour but am not quite sure. Some time ago Brendan Stemp did a bowl with walnut halves inbedded in the rib. He used a product called, "Solid Solutions". It doesn't appear to be for sale in the US and Brendan is no longer active on You Tube or turning near as I can tell. I'm wondering what product here in the US might be a good product to use? As you know there are tons of epoxys and none are very cheap. I'd like to eleminate selecting a bad product for this application. Any recommendations on products and/or videos on the technique?

The easiest stuff I know of is Liquid Diamonds. No need for a pressure pot and if your careful you can get no bubbles. One thing though be sure that what your piece is setting on is level. I have used it and it works but again level:rolleyes: I now use a pressure pot and different epoxy resins (the pressure pot cures a lot of ills).

Thank you Bill. I've tried West's System Quick Cure 15 but it's pretty thick. I'm wondering if Liquid Diamond may have a thinner viscosity? It's a catch 22 of course the warmer it is the thinner it is but the quicker it sets.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I use casting resins that get from hobby Lobby. No pressure pot needed. I simply use CA glue to glue the walnut shells down and then pour the resin in. I use a torch over the top to get rid of bubbles.

Back