• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Will Armstrong for "Gold Carved Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 20th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Index Wheel

I was looking at several projects down the road that I will need an indexing wheel on the wood lathe. I looked on YouTube and there are several do it yourself projects for making an index wheel for the wood lathe. I was considering printing out a 360 degree template and applying it to a disc that would be mounted between the lathe spindle and adjustable chuck. I searched thru some old 10" saw blades and found a 180 tooth blade that should provide a good solution for this application. All I need to do is drill or machine the center of the blade to fit over my lathe spindle and make a pin that will lock onto the teeth at any location around the circumference of the saw blade.

I've heard of this being done, it seems like a Steven King novel in the making:eek:
A belated thanks to John Lucas for his pics and ideas for indexing, thanks John...
His pics are on here somewhere...I think...

Clifton,

Great idea, instead of a dull blade I can use a new blade and use it to cut my spindle blanks to length and save me a trip to the cutoff saw. ;)
I was wanting external teeth so I could use a spring loaded stop that could be quickly and easily depressed and moved to the next desired index degree on the wheel. The indexes that use holes and pins to index with are rather slow to reposition and move to the next index position.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Mike Here is my spring loaded index stop pin. You can easily print off any number of indexs if this page works. My index stop also works in many chucks that have index holes. Here is a photo of the metal spring loaded index pin that I use with my Alisam index plate. http://www.cgtk.co.uk/metalwork/reference/divider

Attachments

• Spring index pin-1.jpg
    Spring index pin-1.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 73
  • Alisam spring index-1.jpg
    Alisam spring index-1.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 74
John,

Thank You, I remember seeing those images before and had a similar idea with a piece of spring steel mounted to the lathe that would have a high point that would register onto the index wheel on the valley between each tooth. Similar to your design one hand releases the pin while the other hand rotates the index wheel to the next desired index degree.

Mike,
Mine is nothing fancy. I made it out of acrylic and glued a laminated paper to it. It sandwiches behind my chuck.

Attachments

• IMG_20180324_185419_resized_20180324_065509663.jpg
    IMG_20180324_185419_resized_20180324_065509663.jpg
    368.6 KB · Views: 40
Stan,

I just made a smaller one for one of my lathes from a CD-Rom disk and laminated a printed template onto the disk. Using a softer material makes it much easier to drill index holes.

Back