• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Insect identification?

I wonder if you can help me with what insect made these tunnels in a soft (silver?) maple tree I processed and rough turned last weekend? The holes are about 1/8” or smaller in diameter, and (obviously) stained black around them. The tree was dead when it was cut (not by me), and I think it had been for a few years, though still contained some moisture. Is this carpenter ant damage? It is not just in the cambium, but riddled through the entire trunk. 05FC597B-DA0B-4EF8-B636-688248B2354F.jpeg

image.jpgimage.jpgCan’t help identify the insect. But I got some silver maple logs when a neighbor cut down his tree 5yrs ago. I turned a number of bowl blanks from them at the time and anchor sealed them. After 6-12 months I second turned a nice bowl for the neighbor, all was good. After they sat around for another 3-4yrs I’ve now finisher turned the rest, most had insect burrows just like yours, BUT they didn’t have any black staining. Because if the tunneling I haven’t bothered to finish half of them. A couple that I did finish have very pretty grain.

I wonder if you can help me with what insect made these tunnels in a soft (silver?) maple tree I processed and rough turned last weekend? The holes are about 1/8” or smaller in diameter, and (obviously) stained black around them. The tree was dead when it was cut (not by me), and I think it had been for a few years, though still contained some moisture. Is this carpenter ant damage? It is not just in the cambium, but riddled through the entire trunk. View attachment 41574
Certainly not Carpenter Ants, Carpenter Ants only live in the wood, not eat it, they make bigger tunnels than shown and have chambers where they rear and feed the brood, shewed up insects are the main meal.

These are more like Ambrosia beetle tunnels, there are several different ones and they make tunnels all through the wood, getting a fungus to grow which they eat.

Of course there are lots of other insects that do get into wood, some are/get pretty large
.Carpenter Ants tunneling.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Leo! I didn’t think of ambrosia beetles as I’m used to seeing their tunnels surrounded by broader sweeps of discolored wood. Here the black color is only immediately adjacent to the tunnels. But as I looked into ambrosia beetles further, I suspect you’re correct, as they may have attacked this tree after it was dead.

Roger Wiegand

Beta Tester
Website
www.carouselorgan.com
I'd guess powderpost beetles, the damage looks exactly like what they do-- In which case they may still be living in your bowls. To be safe I'd heat treat--145 degrees for 6 hours is the recommendation, as I recall. Also be sure to get cut-offs and chips from the wood out of your shop.

Lou to the best of my knowledge, the Powderpost beetle openings are smaller than what you show, also they do not have the black fungus around the holes.
Powder post beetle.jpg
I would first off find out if there is still life in there, place the bowls on a dark paper or board and cover it over, in a couple of days have a look to see if there is any wood dust and-or any insects trapped under your cover.

If you find life in the wood (I doubt it) this is the requirement to sanitize wood, it kills all of what's in there.

Sanitizing of dry wood.jpg
Thinner wood will get to that temp much quicker than whole logs of course.

Back