• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

insurance

is there a source for insurance (1) shop work (2)craft show

is it just best to go with homeowners??

does aaw have list of things that should be covered in policy??????

what is the price range of coverage??????

baitbegger said:
is there a source for insurance (1) shop work (2)craft show

is it just best to go with homeowners??

does aaw have list of things that should be covered in policy??????

what is the price range of coverage??????

Have seen several discussions on this. Much depends on what you want and how you're set up. Most homeowners insurance will cover the contents of a basement or garage "hobby shop" but won't cover either a "manufacturing operation" or a commercial operation where you have customers showing up to buy stuff. Then again, basement and attached garage shops are one thing, stand-alone buildings are another and can get you into stuff like separate policies and insurance company inspections of structure and wiring and such.

Craft shows are a different animal and most homeowner policies will not apply to cover your items from loss from what I've seen. Then there's the liability side from injury to someone visiting your booth to products liability for allergies to wood and finish issues.

You would do best to speak to an insurance agent in your area who has familiarity with the issues. Easiest place to get a referral is at a local turning club meeting.

Good Luck

Steve Worcester

Admin Emeritus
Website
www.turningwood.com
Website
www.zionfire.com
Troubling the insurance waters

You have to be careful talking to insurance people. Big warning!! Telling them stuff can prejudice your policies.

Scenario: You are Joe (or Jo) Normal, and you love woodturning. You've got a little shop set up in your basement. Nah, not production or anything, just a few power tools, some wood, and you turn out the occasional run of gifts. Maybe you do the occasional craft fair, either for grins or for charity. You suddenly realize that you've got thousands of dollars of tools that may or may not be covered for loss or damage. You contact the insurance agent who hears "shop tools". Some of those agents are going to want to find out more info before they'll cover you. Do you ever sell any of your projects? Do you regularly sell your work? Do you use solvents, especially flammable solvents? Do you have proper storage facilities for them? Is your electrical service properly set up and inspected for such machinery? The list goes on. And on. And on. The determination comes back from the insurance company that they won't insure you unless you meet certain commercial level requirements. And not only that, unless you meet those requirements, your formerly normal householders insurance will be cancelled!

Second scenario: You're Joe/Jo Woodworker and you have some pipe breakage in your basement that causes substantial damage in your shop area. The adjuster comes out to see what's what, recognizes your shop, sees the 50 bottle stoppers that you've had in progress, and the can of lacquer finish and thinner. Tools and other things that look awfully like a small manufacturer to the home adjuster's eyes. Claim denied for improper inclusion of a commercial venture in a residential building and residential insurance!

I'm not saying that these are normal scenarios, but I know them to have happened to folks in my acquaintance. Telling insurance folks enough is important. Telling them all the right stuff can get tricky. You need to have a really good agent who is on your side and who really does understand this stuff.

Having specialized insurance riders is even better. The POP program would seem to fit that bill. Getting someone who understands is really important. Making sure that everyone is using the same definitions for "hobby shop" and "manufacturing" facility is vital.

Insurance caution

In a previous thread I gave this scenario. I called my ins agent (cars and home) who I have had for 30 years. Asked her about the shop being added. She said she'd check into it (I currently pd about $650.yr for the house). Came back with a quote of $1000 ADDITIONAL. :eek: A couple of months later when talking to her on another issue, she asked if I had received another ins carrier, and that they would need proof of my having that before they would give me next years house ins!!! So much for an inquiry!!! Forced the issue for me to get the AAW"s recomm ins. Was $406, and this yr was $395.
This may be a state by state thing. She told me before that if I sold anything, then it needed the additional rider. :( Gretch

I really hate insurance companies.... :(

I'd like to get this straight. There's been some confusion on my part, and I need to know something about the liability insurance that the AAW provides for Chapter Clubs.

Does the converage provided by the AAW to the Chapter club (for the $40/year membership fee), cover Chapter members, and AAW members in that chapter for Chapter Club sponsored activities (primarily meetings and clinics)?

And... are guests really the only ones covered? Or do we have to purchase the coverage mentioned by Steve Worcester to get coverage for members during and after club sponsored activities, and non-club sponsored activities.

*** I almost think my sig line applies here. Only I'd add to it something about insurance companies and their lawyers...***

Website
www.kudzu
I had a long court battle with insurance once up on a time on a different matter. But I learned a lot and none of it is good news. Let me just say if you are doing something (commercial business for example) that doesn't fall under the policy you have. Then you have a claim, it's very possible and legal for them to deny that claim.

Honesty is the best policy and I agree that it is very easy for them to make something more out of your hobby than it is. But you don't want to find out after your house has burned that they are not going to cover you because of _________ (fill in the blank). Your better off to pay the extra now because you can stand to loose a lot more down the road.

And, your friendly agent doesn't have a bit of input when it come to the settling of the claim. It's totally out of his hand regardless what anyone says.

Experience speaking. Do with it what you want.

Website
www.harderwoods.com
I was brave enough to ask my insurance agent about my shop. He came back with the idea of adding what he called an "incidental business" rider on my homeowners insurance. It supposedly covers my tools but does not include product liability. As long as people don't regularly come over to my house to buy my work and I don't make a significant amount of money selling it (so far not a problem), then I'm covered. The surprising thing was that it added only $7 per year to my homeowners policy. This is another option worth considering for the casual woodturner, but might not be available in all states.

webturner said:
and I don't make a significant amount of money selling it (so far not a problem), then I'm covered. The surprising thing was that it added only $7 per year to my homeowners policy. This is another option worth considering for the casual woodturner, but might not be available in all states.

What is a significant amt of $??? Gretch

All True

Dean about covered it.

My best buddy and neighbor is my insurance agent and a frequent guest in my shop. I turn in the garage. He is encouraging me to build a shop seperate from the house and insure it and tools seperately. He keeps saying as long as its a hobby and like Gretch said I don't make significant amount of money I'm OK but if I ever had a fire in the shop to make sure business cards and files labeled 'Kobilsek Woodturning' are gone before the inspector gets there.

Now for the fatal error, maybe I'll fix this next year.

Frank

Back