• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Intermittent cut outs on Harvey T60-S

My T60-S is taking multiple attemps to get it started. It will run for a few minutes then shut down. The start button will not work for a minute or so; then it will start and run for a bit. It does the same thing from the main on off panel, and the remote. Any ideas?
I sent an email to Harvey but they are not real speedy at getting back to you. I'm wondering if the contacts in the main control box are dusty.

I got ahold of The tech person at Harvey. It is not throwing a code. It appears to be in the wiring or switches in the remote box. The main off on switch on the head stock share a common wire with the remote switch. So I'm trouble shooting that right now.

I got ahold of The tech person at Harvey. It is not throwing a code. It appears to be in the wiring or switches in the remote box. The main off on switch on the head stock share a common wire with the remote switch. So I'm trouble shooting that right now.
Good luck. I hope you find it quick.

If you have an ohmmeter, you could clip the meter leads across two wires in the remote box and cycle the switches and move the wires around to
narrow your search for the issue. If you get an inconsistent resistance ready across a set of contacts in a switch you may have found the problem.
You could try spraying some contact cleaner on the contacts if they are accessible to clean them up. A switch is a common component on a lathe that will fail over time because of its constant use. In a perfect world you would have a sealed set of contacts on the switch, in today's market you have a switch made by a 3rd party vendor supplied under contract for the lowest cost possible. If you find the component that has failed, you most likely found a component that will fail again, purchase (2) of them and keep the 2nd on hand for when you need it the next time.

I used some cleaner in the off on switches in the remote box; seems to at least temporarly fixed the problem. On the hunt for better grade switches

John,

I'm considering a purchase of this Harvey lathe -- are you still positive about it? Any updates to your thoughts posted previously on this lathe? The other option for me is a Laguna 24/36.

Jim

John,

I'm considering a purchase of this Harvey lathe -- are you still positive about it? Any updates to your thoughts posted previously on this lathe? The other option for me is a Laguna 24/36.

Jim
It's a good lathe; At least as good as a Laguna., probably a bit better in some things like the motor and controller, plus three very heavy bearings in the headstock . The problem is fixable with a bit of troubleshooting. Of course if I had a bunch of money: I'd go for a Oneway with all the trimmings or a Robust.

I used some cleaner in the off on switches in the remote box; seems to at least temporarly fixed the problem. On the hunt for better grade switches
Try some fluid film on the contacts. I've had a number switches misbehave on various equipment. Using FF fixed them all and they continue to work even after several years now.

I have narrowed it down to the remote. Although I am not having much luck with the person that handles the tech and warranty of the Harvey lathes. There is no remote switch in the parts breakdown. If I don't touch the remote, then there are no problems. If I use it, then I have to keep playing with the shut off switch (button), to get it to restart. I have been waiting for a response from Harvey; I just keep getting "I'll have our engineers look into what could be causing this problem".
With all the new products they are selling; you'd think they would have more than a single person for tech and troubleshooting?
Same ol story; when they start getting popular and selling more things...the first thing that goes is customer service.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Probably a simple switch or mechanical actuator that's causing the problem. Powermatic had the same problem. It was a cheap switch and poor seaks to keep the dust out. I bought I higher quality switch and then sealed the assembly with silicone caulking and the problem went away. I would expect a better response from a brand new lathe still under warranty. My Powermatic remote was out of warranty which is why I fixed it myself.

It looks like the remote control on that machine is just a simple start/stop station, easily replaced with standard components.

The cs response doesn't give me that warm fuzzy feeling.

Back