• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Interrupted work on the vacuum chuck

Theres been many times I have a piece turned around on my vacuum chuck working on turning off the tenon and sanding. More often than not Ill get tired or have some other distraction to take care of and I dont want to leave the pump running for extended periods unattended. Most times I can run my tail stock up tight to the work and shut the pump off without loosing position but if Ive sanded to finish and have wiped a penetrating finish on and need to leave it to dry I dont want to mark it up with metal contact or poke a hole in it otherwise. I found a golf ball placed over the center hole on the tail stock hardly makes any marks when used to hold the work in place.88326616-3A3C-47EB-8A00-BD5808D9D363.jpeg

Thanks Gary.
I was wondering if the vacuum would leak through the segmented glue joints.
Tom
If the joint is tight with enough glue I doubt you would have much in the way of leakage. How that would affect your operation depends on the cfm rating on your pump. The higher the cfm the more leakage you can tolerate before it gets so bad it is in danger of letting go. My 15cfm pump does me quite well with about anything I throw at it. 1 to 5 cfm pumps are way more common.

Tom Gall

TOTW Team
poke a hole in it otherwise. I found a golf ball placed over the center hole on the tail stock hardly makes any marks when used to hold the work in place.View attachment 38604
Gary, good solution...but, what you describe and what you show in the photo seems contradictory. To use as shown you need a threaded MT adapter (live or dead) to attach the chuck. This can be accomplished simply by putting the golf ball against the hole in the quill and your piece. Many other options are possible.

I do not have a pic but I made a soft touch from a HDMW rod and threaded it to fit live center. This works quite well but with any of these devices you do have to watch the pressure used in tailstock. The smaller the area of compression the more likely you will get a compressed area in the wood.

I just slip a 3/4" white rubber furniture leg tip on my live center and apply gentle pressure. Most home centers/hardware stores sell a 4-pack of these for about $2.

Attachments

• FurnitureLegTip.png
    FurnitureLegTip.png
    37.3 KB · Views: 4
@Gary Beasley , a variation on your tip, but it saved the day.
20210602_201952.jpg
I mistakenly started to drill a hole for the screw chuck on bottom of the block rather than the top face. Didn't go so deep as to be a design problem, but deep enough to form a very secure seat for any of my cone centers. Unfortunately the hole in the base was also very slightly off center so the cone live centers were all being yanked back and forth stressing the bearings.

I remembered your post and sure enough the golf ball introduces enough give so the live center can live to be live another day.

Thanks for the tip.

Back