• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Jacobs Chuck Choice

Mark, I'm having a hard time finding a Jacobs chuck bigger than 1/2 in. If you have some time, maybe you can tell me where is a good place to buy one. I found a few on Ebay, I think, LOL, but the big one have a #3MT. I'm not opposed to other brands if they are good. Thank you and Aloha

Hey Emiliano - I was curious and went and found this - no idea quality but price isn't crazy. I have a 3/4" shank drill bit I bought accidentally (needed a > 1/2" cut, didn't realize shank size) would be handy for some projects...I'll give it a shot and report back.

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
@Emiliano Achaval I correct myself, the part which fits into the chuck body is called the arbor and it is sold separately. The "J" taper is a Jacobs taper, so perhaps that is what makes a chuck a jacobs chuck.
View attachment 40328
Here is my itemized Zoro bill from 2018 showing the separate entries. I note also that my chuck is apparently 5/8" while the shank on my big 3" Forstner is half inch. Thing is, even if I had a bigger chuck at some point the arbor starts to loose its grip on the chuck body or the quill. I think drilling with a 3" Forstner is just a big ask.

I was able to find a lot of information (and refresh my memory) at the Mcmaster.com web site. I suggest you check them out.
Thank you for taking the time to research this!!

Back