• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Jay Bowdler

Hello folks,

I got to your forum from Ashley Harwood’s site.

I’ve been tinkering with wood my entire life and finally purchased a NOVA DVR lathe 5 years ago after moving into my wood shop. No longer the garage!! . I was building a large dinner table for my daughter and wanted try my hand at turning the legs. Turned out pretty good BTW. Lately I’ve took a live edge bowl class at woodcraft and have been happily making sawdust ever since.

So I look forward to tagging along and learning with you all.

Welcome to the forum. May I suggest you go to the main AAW website and look for a local chapter? Well worth the time and membership fee as I have found woodturners to be most helpful to us newbies. There is a library that has good information and no due date on the videos.

Fungi is a living organism that needs an adequate temperature and moisture to grow in, once you change at least one of these factors it stops growing.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Welcome to the AAW forum, Jay. There is a woodturning club near you that medts in Folsum ... the Nor-Cal Woodturners, Inc. Here is a link to the club's website: Nor-Cal Woodturners
Here is information on Meeting time and loxation.

Fungi is a living organism that needs an adequate temperature and moisture to grow in, once you change at least one of these factors it stops growing.

@Mike Johnson are we into the mushrooms again, Mike. :D

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Welcome to the forum.
Like Bill said Local AAW chapters are terrific places to learn and expand your woodturning horizons as well as meeting some new friends.

I also like doing natural edge pieces both bowls and hollow forms.
Mastering the interrupted cut is one of the more challenging feats in woodturning.
The tips and techniques on this forum is full of instructional posts on Turing.
Some link to videos. You may be interested in one I started is on turning a NE bowl from a crotch.

http://www.aawforum.org/community/index.php?threads/naural-edge-bowl-from-a-crotch.11058/

Noticed you are located in Wilton. NorCal Woodturners has our monthly meeting this Tuesday evening starting at 6 PM. We meet in Folsom at the Veterans Club. Please join us.
Dwight Rutherford

Back