• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

JB WELD EPOXY

Good morning,
I have this awesome Cherry Burl with amazing colors thru it and in one spot I had a decent sized hole. Now this bowl is in the very beginning stages it hasn't even been hollowed out yet so I decided to buy JB WELD epoxy from HD. My reason behind this is because I want to keep the bowl at 10" round because like I stated the colors are awesome. So far it seems to be working great. Has anyone else used this product and what were there results? Here is a quick photo of my handy work. Probably should have taken a before photo. Here are some cracks I filled w/ black starbond ca glue. Look at those colors. Anyone got an idea of what type of finish I should use? I was thinking of just shellac. I am not sure what it is but I am just finding everything about this project just incredible as I work on it.

Attachments

• 16229040777499032448317112873148.jpg
    16229040777499032448317112873148.jpg
    615.4 KB · Views: 67
  • 16229040993183114929965963869413.jpg
    16229040993183114929965963869413.jpg
    596.7 KB · Views: 66
  • 16229042175986039014401930625853.jpg
    16229042175986039014401930625853.jpg
    582.8 KB · Views: 66

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I have used JB weld clear 2 part epoxy and mixed in trans tint dyes. I am now experimenting with Milliput clay epoxies that come in colors. You can force it into medium size cracks and bug trails.

Where do you get miliput because I would like to try that. I was wondering about the tint. I may need to try that.

I used clear JB Weld epoxy with shavings and coffee grounds as a filler for one of my first woodturnings. It was a spalted cherry burl I saved just in case I purchased a lathe. It is just a small pencil cup in the picture you can see the bark inclusion I filled with the epoxy and coffee grounds.

I even did a YouTube video of the turning, I am not sure if it breaks the rules of the forum to post the link here so I will just post a picture for now unless someone wants a link to the YouTube video.

Attachments

• 20201213_162227.jpg
    20201213_162227.jpg
    258.9 KB · Views: 36

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
I even did a YouTube video of the turning, I am not sure if it breaks the rules of the forum to post the link here so I will just post a picture for now unless someone wants a link to the YouTube video.

Yes, @Ted Judd you are allowed to put a link to your YouTube video. Just copy the URL and paste it into your post. The software automatically handles the formatting.

Very nice Ted. I should have started a video of the cherry burl I am working on now. I am not really into all the resin turning and so on but it's good to know that there are others out there that have used JB WELD also and that it has been used with other ingredients so to speak. It is something I will try in the future.

Randy Anderson

Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Website
www.etsy.com
I use JB Weld 2 part all the time for filling knots and cracks. I don't use the syringe types you get on the rack at the HW store or other places. Too hard for me to control the mix. The hardener is thicker and I would always end up with a mess trying to get them to a 50/50 mix. The 4 oz bottles are much easier to use and go a long way. It says 5 minutes but you really don't have near that much time to work it. After a few minutes it starts to thicken quite a bit so move quick. Mix slow to avoid bubbles and use a heat gun if you want to help it flow into cracks and get bubbles out. Multiple small batches work better for me. As others have said you can mix in colors to get some really nice looks. A box of mica powder colors is easy to get on Amazon. The ones I have are Seisso brand box of 15 but I have no experience with others. They work and mix well. A very tiny little dab goes a long way in an epoxy mix.

Deciding where and how much to fill is a personal preference with lots of different approaches. I don't do a lot of fill on the outside of a bowl. I call it character most of the time and it sells well that way. On the inside I may fill if it makes the piece more useable for a utility bowl or can hide a place in a knot or small crack. I don't want a big clear epoxy spot inside a bowl. If that's what it takes then I'll color it. My approach is either accept it as character, hide it so it's not easily seen or highlight it with a color.

I've tried milliput and so far I'm not a big fan. It's a chore to mix and I've found over time that as the wood moves it will pull away along the edges of a crack. Plus it's a flat color so not much pop re the color if you're using the turquoise color. The mica powders in epoxy create a really nice color with some marble texture.

Last edited:
As others have said, JB clear and mixed with tint and coffee grounds (espresso) is my favorite. And that bowl would be a good candidate.
The JB black mix is nice and thick. That's what I use to make permanent bonds, like a ferrule in a wooden handle.

I have used the JB weld 2 part clear and Devcon a part clear a lot to fill defects in turnings. Prefer the larger 4 oz bottles for all the reasons Randy stated.

Tried a lot of different coloring/fillers - coffee, powdered metals, oil paint, acrylic paint - mica powder is my favorite by a lot. The small multi color kits go a long way and allow you to see which colors you like/dont like for future purchases of larger quantities.

I use the JB Weld syringe 5 minute all of the time with colored mica powder mixed in. I like the fastest set on round forms to fill small voids with control - cures to cutting or sanding in 24hrs. Never had a problem with it.

Back