• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Jenny Trice

I have been turning for more than 10 years. I have done quite a bit of other woodworking and while making toys, I discovered the need for round things (wheels, airplane engines, etc.). I had a friend with a lathe and he helped make some wheels but I caught the bug and bought my first lathe shortly after that. It was a Jet 12-21. After a couple of years, I decided I wanted something bigger and I upsized to the Jet 1642.

I have been an avid forum/message board follower and have also taken several classes through my local Minnesota Woodturners chapter. My interests are very broad and I have tried many different things (pens, tops, bowls, platters, hollow forms, beads of courage boxes, pyrography, just starting basket illusion . . .).

1215181618.jpg

Welcome aboard! Nice cabinet on the lathe. I've though about something like that, but I'd invariably leave a drawer open and fill it with chips.

I vacuum out those drawers every time I use the lathe but still like the ballast weight and the handiness of my tools.

Mark Hepburn

Artist & Chef
Welcome to the forum Jenny. I'm going to borrow your cabinet design for my Jet 1642 if you don't mind :)

Welcome to the forum Jenny. I'm going to borrow your cabinet design for my Jet 1642 if you don't mind :)

I surely don't mind Mark. If I had plans, I would share. I built it quite a long time ago. It seems to work well with the combination of small and larger drawers. One thing I might consider doing different is that I have it right up to the bottom of the lathe bed and that catches chips which are a little hard to get out. I turned an adaptor for my shop vac so I can put the crevice tool it there but that isn't great for chips either. If I did it again, I would probably leave a little more room to allow chips to get out but that will limit the three drawers which are fairly shallow already. I have sanding supplies in the top drawer and tools in the middle and tool rests and misc. in the lower drawer. The smaller drawers have centers and chuck jaws and other smaller odds and ends.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum Jenny. As Mark mentioned, you have a nice storage cabinet built in. Very handy indeed, happy turning!

What you need is a lip over the drawers, like a kitchen countertop is over the drawers. It will cut down, but not eliminate the vacuuming.

Stu

Welcome to the Forums. I have made several drawer units like your. To solve or rather help with the dust problem I places a lip like protrusion over the top drawers, to protrude about a half inch. It does help but I finally decided it was better to have the drawers elsewhere as when drawer opened the shavings on the lathe fell in. Now I have a barrel under lathe to catch shavings.

Welcome. Seems you have really gotten into turning. Basket illusion is a real challenge. Looking forward to a finished project. A beach towel and some thumbtacks will make a cheap cover for the drawers. Easily moved to get tools and shake it out to clean.

Hi, Jenny, and welcome. I like the cabinet on your lathe. I'm not nearly that organized.
I have a 1642 as well, but had to raise it up on some 4 x 6s to make it comfortable for me.

Hi, Jenny, and welcome. I like the cabinet on your lathe. I'm not nearly that organized.
I have a 1642 as well, but had to raise it up on some 4 x 6s to make it comfortable for me.

Thanks Bob. Sounds like we are opposite ends of the height spectrum. I had to raise myself a similar distance, although my lathe is taller because of the wheels to make it mobile.

Back