• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Jerry Bridges

I am a retired accountant who enjoys woodturning.
I live with my wife approximately 20 miles outside of Waco, Texas in an area covered by llive oaks and populated with deer, wild turkeys and various other critters. I have been turning for 15 years starting with spindle turning on a Jet mini lathe. Last year I upgraded to a Rikon Midi. I started bowl turning two years ago and I am hooked on it. I have found the turning community warm and welcoming. and look forward to learning more from members of The AAW.

Thanks for the welcome. Stopped bowl turning because my pastor asked for 50 tops for our Fall Festival. This has been good practice for the spindle gouge and detail gouge. It is a good way to perfect riding the bevel.

Tops for Fall Festival.jpg

Thanks for the welcome. Stopped bowl turning because my pastor asked for 50 tops for our Fall Festival. This has been good practice for the spindle gouge and detail gouge. It is a good way to perfect riding the bevel.

View attachment 40257

Jerry,

FYI, When finishing the tops an easy way to finish the top of the handle is to stretch a heavy rubber band around the outer edge of the top and reverse mount it into an adjustable chuck and snug the jaws down onto the edge with the rubber band which will protect the turned wood edge. You can then make sure the handle is centered to the tail-stock center. In this position you can do some light cuts on the handle and finish sanding it to a any detail desired.

Jerry,

FYI, When finishing the tops an easy way to finish the top of the handle is to stretch a heavy rubber band around the outer edge of the top and reverse mount it into an adjustable chuck and snug the jaws down onto the edge with the rubber band which will protect the turned wood edge. You can then make sure the handle is centered to the tail-stock center. In this position you can do some light cuts on the handle and finish sanding it to a any detail desired.
Great suggestion. I will give it a try. Because I needed 50 in a short time I cut the dowel a little longer to allow access to finish the top.

My workshop is fairly small, so everything except my drill press is on wheels, including my workbench. Wish I had more room but, I make it work.
I notice you live in Hampton Roads, Virginia. My younger brother lives in Mineral, Virginia.

Sharpening Station.jpg

Saws.jpg

Lathe Closeup.jpg

Jerry, that's a nice shop setup and much cleaner than mine. Pictures are always great. But I must ask, "is that a microwave oven on the bottom shelf"?

Yes, it is a mivrowave oven. I use it for drying green bowl blanks after initial turning.

Back