• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Jim Saur

I have been running my one man cabinet shop for 26 years and now it's back to a shop for fun stuff. My turning experience has been limited to legs and stretchers as jobs required on an old junker lathe. I just added this Oliver and wanting to learn more. i’v always enjoyed what little turning i've done, and want to learn more. i’’m living in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan burls are readily available so good options there.

20240123_183034.jpgWWWW20240123_094500.jpg

Michael Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
TOTW Team
Welcome from Chattanooga! That’s a nice looking Oliver. Gotta say that I’m jealous you have easy access to a bunch of burls. Looking forward to seeing some of your turnings.

One of the trolls*, Lyle Jamieson, https://lylejamieson.com/ doesn’t use chucks for bowls or hollow forms. So there is an alternative path to consider.

Welcome to the forum.

*The troll reference is because of living below the bridge from the UP to the rest of Michigan, it is not a character judgement.

Website
www.ovwg.org
Welcome! You have a nice big lathe, so I think the Vicmarc 120 with the shark jaws would work well. I have one and it takes care of 90% of my turning needs from finials to large bowls, and of course lidded boxes!

Back