• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Joe Centorino

Hello everyone and thank you to the AAW for establishing and maintaining this forum also to all of the contributing members who share their questions, answers, ideas, opinions, sources and accumulated knowledge. I am 65 years old, retired broacast/electonics engineer with a lifelong interest in various forms of woodworking. I had been interested in turning for quite some time but didn't follow up until I met some members of the Massachusetts South Shore Woodturners a little over 2 years ago. Their willingness to teach and guide enabled me to move from an old Craftsman 12" spindle lathe to my current Laguna REVO 1836. I love spending time turning, learning new things everyday. I will post some shop pictures once I clean things up a little bit, as well as some pictures of my work.

Hi Joe, I agree, what a fine place to learn new things about our hobby. I searched for 1836 because I'm thinking about buying one myself. I see that it's on sale for 10% off through the end of this month. From what I've seen so far it will do everything that I can't do now and more. I'm currently using a Delta 46-460 MIDI, BTW. Anyway, welcome to the forum and I'd love to see your shop. Don't feel bad, mine is always a mess
Don,
Livin' the good life in God's Country (Texas Hill Country)

Welcome to the forum.
Finding a club and other turners is a great start.
A little hands is usually a lot bett int eh beginning than videos and reading.

:) Don’t over achieve on the clean up you are just going to make more mess. :)
Thanks Hockenberry, I agree with the "hands on" approach. I look to the reading and videos for safety and new ideas but I really enjoy the time spent turning!

Hi Joe, I agree, what a fine place to learn new things about our hobby. I searched for 1836 because I'm thinking about buying one myself. I see that it's on sale for 10% off through the end of this month. From what I've seen so far it will do everything that I can't do now and more. I'm currently using a Delta 46-460 MIDI, BTW. Anyway, welcome to the forum and I'd love to see your shop. Don't feel bad, mine is always a mess
Don,
Livin' the good life in God's Country (Texas Hill Country)
Thank you Don. I have been very happy with my Laguna REVO 1836, outside of a new intermittent issue which I believe to be bad relay in the control unit which I am investigating right now. I have had a chance through the club to turn on a Powermatic 20" , and several Jet Midi lathes. I attended a workshop last summer at Arrowmont with David Ellsworth where I got to turn on a Robust American Beauty. The Powermatic and Robust both had some nice features like a remote off/kill switch which was very handy when turning hollow forms. The REVO 2436 does have a full remote including speed control. Unfortunately it does not appear that you can retrofit the 1836 with that control.

Welcome to the Wonderful World of Woodturning! I agree- finding a club is a great way to start. I found my local chapter to be a great bunch, willing to help in any way. The demonstrations are always interesting. Our chapter has a newsletter that gives the demo in detail. May I suggest a membership in AAW? Lots more info plus a great magazine.

Welcome to the Wonderful World of Woodturning! I agree- finding a club is a great way to start. I found my local chapter to be a great bunch, willing to help in any way. The demonstrations are always interesting. Our chapter has a newsletter that gives the demo in detail. May I suggest a membership in AAW? Lots more info plus a great magazine.
Hi John, Thank you for the welcome. I am an AAW member. I joined about a month or so after I started turning, however I am just starting to take advantage of this forum. Our local chapter hosts monthly meetings with demos, a monthly hands-on as well as several other events throughout the year.

Back