• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

John Clarke

HI All,
I retired from the USAF about 8 years ago and started my turning hobby about 2 years ago. My turning to date has been on a Shopsmith (with the upgraded headstock) but I find it's a bit too lightweight for my purposes. I mostly turn bowls (about 35 so far) from donated wood. I haven't paid for any wood yet and I have turned maple, spalted maple, spalted red oak, red oak walnut, honey locust and cedar. My wood stockpile is growing and I hope to work that down a bit when I pick up my new Powermatic 3520C in about 10 days!

One of my main goals is to improve my skills to get the walls thinner on my turnings - I have exploded a couple of bowls when I got them quite thin and had a catch...

I have been experimenting a bit with acrylic resin to fill voids in the wood as well as CA to repair smaller cracks/checks. I want to do more unique turnings like basket illusions, hollow forms (I've done a couple of those with reasonable success).

Hoping to come away from the Marketplace at the Annual Symposium with some treasures!

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Welcome, I worked 30 years for DoD.

You should have a great time at the symposium.

A couple of great bowl turning demos to see are
Ashley Hardwoods - Push cut bowl turning
Collin Ways - Bowls
Troy Grimwoods - rolly bowl

Once you learn to use the tools you won’t get catches except for when you get careless.
A good class or a mentor will speed the learning immensely.

Big thing with turning thin walls is to get thin in 1-3” sections from the rim to base leaving the lower part of the wall 3/4” thick for support.

I posted threads in the tips and techniques that might interest you
1. Working with green wood has videos from a demo I do where I turn a green bowl for drying and then mount and return a dried bowl
http://www.aawforum.org/community/index.php?threads/working-with-green-wood.11626/

2. Natural edge bow from a crotch has a demo video turning the ne bowl.
http://www.aawforum.org/community/index.php?threads/naural-edge-bowl-from-a-crotch.11058/

Welcome to the forum. A symposium is well worth the time and $$$. You will meet a lot of great folks and watch some outstanding demonstrators. Vendors will have wide assortment of items from tools to wood. Make sure your credit card is clear and has a high limit! AMHIK.

Welcome from SE Texas!
Thanks for service!
Sounds like you've got a good start. Have yet to make a symposium--maybe next year.

Back