• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

John Dillon

Glad to be a new AAW member and member of the forum. Have been woodworking for a number of years. Turned a baseball bat in 7th grade shop class in 1972 and still have it. Took up woodturning again in January 2019 and have had some excellent mentors at classes I took at the Chicago School of Woodworking. Have been turning bowls and doing some misc. spindle work. Hoping to get my own lathe setup at home sometime very soon. Thanks

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
Glad to be a new AAW member and member of the forum. Have been woodworking for a number of years. Turned a baseball bat in 7th grade shop class in 1972 and still have it. Took up woodturning again in January 2019 and have had some excellent mentors at classes I took at the Chicago School of Woodworking. Have been turning bowls and doing some misc. spindle work. Hoping to get my own lathe setup at home sometime very soon. Thanks
Welcome to the forum!! Glad we were able to get you in! Aloha

Thanks all - member of the Chicago Woodturners for the past few months and recently joined the Windy City Woodturners so getting some good exposure to demo's and gallery reviews. A lot of talented turners at both clubs and some great camaraderie. I do most of my turning at the Chicago School of Woodworking where the Chicago Woodturners have their equipment and sponsor some classes. Although it's about an hour drive from my house I also head over to the school for the 'Open Shop' opportunities whenever I have time. I recently bought a lathe and tools, but need to still set-up shop at home.

After making some nice furniture pieces over the past several years, I tried the turning classes last january and definitely have experienced OCD as it relates to woodturning. Jumping in with both feet. Thanks, John

Welcome aboard. Shame shop equipment at schools around here have been auctioned off so not many boys will ever get the experience of turning something like a baseball bat. That's neat you were able to keep yours as a reminder of the fun you had in shop.

Tell us a little more about the lathe that you own or wanting to buy?

-Karl in West TN

Welcome aboard. Shame shop equipment at schools around here have been auctioned off so not many boys will ever get the experience of turning something like a baseball bat. That's neat you were able to keep yours as a reminder of the fun you had in shop.

Tell us a little more about the lathe that you own or wanting to buy?

-Karl in West TN
Karl - agree with your comment about shop classes and how so many have disappeared over the years. I have a lot of fond memories of woodshop, metal shop, technical drafting and photoshop. All in 7th and 8th grade............ before even getting to H.S.
Anyway - had some buddies over yesterday to help me unload and set-up a Robust Sweet 16. Now need the 220 outlet and clear some more space in my garage and I'll be ready to turn at home. Figured I might as well get the best I could now, so I don't have to mess around upgrading every time I get the itch.

Nice lathe John. You're going to have lots of fun with that Robust lathe. As the saying goes, 'buy once cry once' when it comes to getting nice equipment.

Back