• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

John Fuda

I joined the forum almost 4 years ago and never posted until yesterday - figured I should introduce myself with my second post.

I been turning for 4 years with about 9 years of serious woodworking and about 30 years of tinkering. I've done dozens of pens, two incomplete bowls and a handful of other small things, not counting the little bit of turning I did in high school over 30 years ago (legs for a stool).

I really want to get into bowl turning, I just need to get my hands on more wood. Funny thing is, when I first moved into my current home, we cleared some trees that were 3-to-4 feet at the base that would have yielded all sorts of bowl blanks, and some smaller funky trees that would have had awesome figure (one really weird looking cherry comes to mind). But all that wood had been split and burned in the fireplace long before the turning itch hit. I have a friend who has a local tree company and his own mill. He says he's been stashing some figured offcuts, I just have to find the time to get out to his property, the next county over.

I have a Nova 1624 that I recently put the DVR upgrade on and I've been very happy with it. I have mostly beginner tools (Benjamin's Best and Hurricane) but have been really happy with them, especially now that I've started using the Wolverine Sharpening System, which is giving me waaaay more consistent results than using my WorkSharp with Tormek jigs. I still like the WorkSharp for my hand planes though.

I also do a little woodcarving, and have taught the woodcarving merit badge to some Scouts in the past.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
John welcome to the forum

Turning bowls and hollow forms is extremely rewarding. I’m sure you will find more wood than you can ever turn or burn for heating once you start looking.

One of the mostly productive uses of time and money toward becoming a better turner is working with experienced turners either in a formal class, watching demos, or mentoring.

If you have not already done so connect with a local chapter of AAW.
They welcome visitors and offer many learning opportunities.
https://www.woodturner.org/page/Chapters

Check out the guest membership - some publications are available.
https://www.woodturner.org/page/GuestMemberLanding

You tube has the good the bad and the ugly. Consider searching first the
Videos screened by AAW volunteers for safe and effective practices.
http://aawvideosource.org/

Also this forum has the tips and techniques with quite a few project oriented threads.
http://www.aawforum.org/community/index.php?forums/tutorials-and-tips.4/

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Welcome aboard, John. I know how you feel about wood that was burned in the fireplace ... before I discovered woodturning I cut a lot of wood for the fireplace that could have been used to make things. Now just use gas logs in the fireplace ... no shoveling ashes and no more stink of smoke and wet ashes in the den.

Back