• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

John Hutchins

Hi everyone, recently joined the forum an I'm taking the advise to make a bit of an introduction. I started turning with the mid 1940's 9" Dunlap (Sear) lathe, in the photo below, that I took out of my dad's shop after he took it out of my grandfather's shop. I'm a retired accountant and have been a woodworker for many years, also a beekeeper and touring cyclist (bicycle, not motor). But turning is a new adventure

I've quickly caught the bug and realized I need to upgrade to technology from the current century so I have been pondering new lathes for quite a while now. I've read numerous threads here and on other forums, read blog posts, watched YouTube videos and have settled on "the lathe" several times (all different, obviously). I started looking at midi's till my wife said "I thought you'd get something bigger". Hard to pass up and opening like that, but I don't think she had any idea how the price can double, or triple from a nice midi to a 16" or 18" Jet or Laguna. To say nothing of Powermatics, Robusts etc.

I took an afternoon bowl turning class at the local Rockler's and turned on a Laguna 1836 which I really liked. That got me to looking at the Revo 1216. Looking bigger I consider the Revo 1524. But the price is more than double the 1216 and at that price range a Jet 1640 is another option. However, at that size I could spend a little more for the Jet 1840 with 220v power. For a price vs. size compromise I've also considered a Nova 1624 II with belt drive. This morning I was back to the Revo 1216. For a little over $1,000 I could get the lathe with the 10" bed extension and extended banjo for outboard turning. Still a 1" vs 1 1/4" spindle and 1HP 110v power. But I watched someone on YouTube carefully turn a 16" bowl with that configuration. I don't know that I'll want to do that but it showed a lot of versatility in a smaller machine. For $200 more I could get the 20" bed extension and have the bed length of the Jet's

I've considered Grizzly lathes but I'm wary of quality issues.

For now it's all a bit mute as I'm recovering from rotator cuff surgery so no turning (or many other things) for a while.

Here are some bowls I turned on the 9" Dunlap. The big one at the bottom was at Rockler on the Laguna 1836. I've also turned a few pens, which really pointed out the inability of the old Dunlap to turn true.

IMG_20200307_134901.jpgIMG_20200309_131138.jpg

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Welcome aboard, John. I know about rotator cuff surgery (2X). The physical therapy is about the most painful thing that you will endure, but it is absolutely essential if you want a good recovery.

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
Hi everyone, recently joined the forum an I'm taking the advise to make a bit of an introduction. I started turning with the mid 1940's 9" Dunlap (Sear) lathe, in the photo below, that I took out of my dad's shop after he took it out of my grandfather's shop. I'm a retired accountant and have been a woodworker for many years, also a beekeeper and touring cyclist (bicycle, not motor). But turning is a new adventure

I've quickly caught the bug and realized I need to upgrade to technology from the current century so I have been pondering new lathes for quite a while now. I've read numerous threads here and on other forums, read blog posts, watched YouTube videos and have settled on "the lathe" several times (all different, obviously). I started looking at midi's till my wife said "I thought you'd get something bigger". Hard to pass up and opening like that, but I don't think she had any idea how the price can double, or triple from a nice midi to a 16" or 18" Jet or Laguna. To say nothing of Powermatics, Robusts etc.

I took an afternoon bowl turning class at the local Rockler's and turned on a Laguna 1836 which I really liked. That got me to looking at the Revo 1216. Looking bigger I consider the Revo 1524. But the price is more than double the 1216 and at that price range a Jet 1640 is another option. However, at that size I could spend a little more for the Jet 1840 with 220v power. For a price vs. size compromise I've also considered a Nova 1624 II with belt drive. This morning I was back to the Revo 1216. For a little over $1,000 I could get the lathe with the 10" bed extension and extended banjo for outboard turning. Still a 1" vs 1 1/4" spindle and 1HP 110v power. But I watched someone on YouTube carefully turn a 16" bowl with that configuration. I don't know that I'll want to do that but it showed a lot of versatility in a smaller machine. For $200 more I could get the 20" bed extension and have the bed length of the Jet's

I've considered Grizzly lathes but I'm wary of quality issues.

For now it's all a bit mute as I'm recovering from rotator cuff surgery so no turning (or many other things) for a while.

Here are some bowls I turned on the 9" Dunlap. The big one at the bottom was at Rockler on the Laguna 1836. I've also turned a few pens, which really pointed out the inability of the old Dunlap to turn true.

View attachment 32319View attachment 32321
Welcome aboard! I wish you a speedy recovery! You might want to look around for a used lathe. You could find a great deal on a nice Powermatic, or other brands...

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Welcome,
Hope your rotator cuff recovery goes smoothly.

did a demo a few months back on a jet1840. Nice machine well worth considering.

the Jet 1640 is a lot of lathe too. Used lathes are often the best deal especially if there are lots of expensive mall items bundles with them.

Last edited:
Thanks, all. Shoulder PT is going well. I'm pretty good at sticking with it and doing everything as directed. My issue is not doing too much too soon. Particularly with the weather improving.

I've been searching for used lathes for a while with no luck in the size range I'd like other than ones not much younger than the one I have. But I only need to find one.

Welcome aboard. You should have plenty of time before you can turn and finding a used lathe will save lots of money. Look at craigs and try the local club . Many times club members will have a good bargain, We have a club member with a 1642 Jet for 1500 right now.

Thanks Gerald, I've been searching Craigslist locally and in surrounding areas for months without success. But I haven't contacted any of the local clubs yet. I think there are a couple in the area. I really should get involved just for the knowledge gained. I learned the benefit of learning from a dedicated group of club members when I started keeping bees several years ago. You are right about having some time before I can turn. But, if I would end up buying a Jet 1640 new I'd hate to have missed the current 10% off sale the ends 3/16 .

Welcome! Speedy recovery. Looking at knee replacement in the future. Friends say the rehab is worse than the surgery.

Thanks Tim and John. John, I haven't had a knee replaced but so far rehab for the shoulder has been worse than the surgery. That is mainly due to how long it takes. I'm actually progressing quite well with rehab. Good range of motion and working on regaining strength. Still waiting for the pain to be less than before surgery, but getting better. Just took delivery of a new Laguna Revo 1524, Friday, and have been able to turn a couple small things.

Back