• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

John Manura

I have been a hobby woodworker since I was in high school more than 50 years ago. I started woking with my father whose hobby was making Grandfather clocks. Most of my woodworking was making furniture. Over the years I migrated from making furniture, making classic guitars, scroll saw work, then intarsia, then wood carving and then woodturning. I also like making jigs for my projects and have made many over the years.John.jpg

About 5 years ago I came up with the concept for the Accu-Slice system for safely cutting thin sections of wood on the band saw for both making veneers and for segmented woodturning. A patent was applied for and was just issued about 3 months ago. I brought the Accu-Slice to market 2 years ago and since that time my woodturning activities have greatly increased. I am always trying new ideas and developing new jigs which have included the development of the Accu-Slice, the Accu-Wedge Segmenting System, the Accu-Slot system for cutting Celtic Ring patterns, the GlueJig, Offset Cam Clamps, Accu-Path band saw laser and several other jigs currently in development. Currently I am in a dizzy bowl kick.
projects.jpg Dizzy-Bowls.jpg egg-48.jpg egg1.jpg goblets.jpg
My education involved undergraduate studies in Biochemistry at Penn State and then graduate school in Biochemistry at Rutgers University Medical School. After grad school I was the Senior Research Forensic Chemist with the NJ State Police Crime lab for 12 years, developing new methods for the analysis of criminal evidence. I specialized in instrumental methods of analysis including the Mass Spectrometer. In 1978 I founded Scientific Instrument Services (SIS), a company which serves the needs of the scientific instrument market. I currently have 7 patents and over 100 scientific publications. I sold SIS in January of this year and started Accu-Slice - my new retirement hobby business. I currently have about 60 videos on YouTube describing various applications of the AccuSlice systems.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Welcome to the AAW forum, John. You have quite an extensive range of woodworking experience. I've never been bravo enough to venture into segmented work so even the thought of attempting dizzy bowls and funnels leaves me dizzy. Those are some very impressive pieces.

Back