• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

John R. Grace

Hello everyone...my name is John Grace and was first introduced to turning in the 70s back in high school, cutting my teeth on an Oliver machine. Fell in love with turning but couldn't pursue it as a hobby for a number of years since for all the typical life reasons. To that end, I was able to get back into turning as a permanent hobby about ten years ago or so now and like many before me it's become my primary and most passionate hobby.

When I returned to turning, I finally settled on the Teknatool NOVA DVR XP as my machine...it seemed to meet all of my requirements at the time and has served we quite well since then. Just last week, however, I took a big 'gulp' and purchased a Robust American Beauty which should be arriving later this week. As for turning...I focus on all sizes of bowls and platters, almost exclusively on pieces that are food safe. Years ago I started selling my pieces at my local farmer's market and quickly realized that most if not all of my customers wanted pieces that could actually be used as opposed to something artistic. Something interesting that I learned almost immediately was how important being able to say all of my wood is sourced locally had a huge impact on sales.

My local market has what they call artist's month in late November/early December and the combination of local artists and wood harvested from my county really resonated with my customers. I'd be disingenuous if I didn't also mention that I sell my pieces incredibly cheap. Not because my pieces are shabby (or at least I don't think so)...but rather, because I sell my pieces to cover my costs and in order to purchase more wood. This is my hobby and I'd turn even if I didn't sell a thing but you can only give away so many pieces and I needed a means by which to create space for more and to off set the costs of my hobby. I've raised my prices accordingly to correspond with my skill improvements and will probably make a more significant jump in the next year or two as I turn more as a partial retirement income stream. In the end though...it will still be mostly for fun. And in the spirit of the 'fun' part...the thing I've come to enjoy most about the selling part is when returning customers come up to me and describe meals they served with my pieces or comments they themselves receive when they put my piece on their holiday table.

Anyways...hello from Maryland, cheers.

John
Tuckerswoodturning@gmail.com

Mark Hepburn

Artist & Chef
Welcome John, and congratulations on the new lathe. Pardon the pun, but that's a real beauty of a lathe.

Michael Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
TOTW Team
Welcome from Chattanooga, John! Pretty exciting re. the American Beauty. Post photos when you get it all setup. I enjoyed reading your introduction in general. I haven’t really ventured into selling yet, so it’s always nice to read that kind of strategic information.

Welcome to the forum. Looks like you might have waited a long time for the dream lathe.
Agreed...it took quite a while but the NOVA served me well for the early years while I re-learned how to turn as well as determine if the hobby would be permanent part of my life. After that it was a while to max out what the lathe could do relative to my skill sets and what I wanted to turn. And of course...finally, the money. But after a number of years of turning, growing, and money anxieties I finally found a 'relatively' good deal, a very nice bonus at work, and of course...the encouragement of the 'boss'.

Back