• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Jonathan Edwards

Hey everyone,

Very new to wood turning, as in a couple weeks new. My son and I joined our local turning club for guidance as neither of us has ever used a lathe. We took the introduction course they have and had a blast. I have since been given an old HF lathe and have made a bottle stopper out of a piece of Walnut. I will be upgrading to a much better lathe in the near future but am waiting to see what Black Friday brings. I will try to post the pictures of what we have turned so far. Thanks for having me.

Attachments

• IMG_1703.JPG
    IMG_1703.JPG
    51.3 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_1623.JPG
    IMG_1623.JPG
    298.8 KB · Views: 13
Welcome. Joining a chapter is a good move, worth it weight in wood. Or is it gold? My first lathe was a HF lathe. There are a number of lathes on the market, only limited by your needs and wallet...or credit card.

Welcome from SE Texas!
The HF was my second after a Shopsmith—- have waaaay upgraded since then. Getting into the turning “vortex” just hurts the wallet— some.

Back