• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Joshua Keroes

Hi all!

I live in Portland, OR with my partner, Jenny, and dog, Zucca. We spend all of our time together, hunting for truffles in the woods, and doing the standard twice-daily dog outings.

Zucca (pronounced much like "Zucchini") is a very busy girl who needs her exercise. While we can't get out to stomp around the woods more than a day or two each week, she does enjoy playing fetch with wood from one Asian pine. It was one of the trees planted by either the City of Portland or the School District, and while I can't remember exactly which country it originally came from or the species, I can say that it grew many, many burls; almost one at every branching junction. For better or worse, the tree died and fell over this past year. We harvested several IKEA bags of burls. Then Jenny gifted me a nice Rockler 10-18 mini lathe for Xmas. I've added a set of carbide tools, a basic set of trad tools, and a sphere chuck.

I've spent my time turning the burls into spheres; just the right size to fit in a ChuckIt toy. I've left them rough which lets her her track the balls by scent. And since other dogs have a habit of chewing, there's not much sense in being too fussy and spending the time polishing or sealing them.

I've turned a few other spindles to get a feel for the tools and expect them all (?) to go in the kindling pile.

Thanks for having me,
Joshua

Attachments

• IMG_0720.jpeg
    IMG_0720.jpeg
    527.1 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0718.jpeg
    IMG_0718.jpeg
    438.8 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0722.jpg
    IMG_0722.jpg
    527.6 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0699.jpg
    IMG_0699.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Appreciate the warm welcome, all! I will have a few questions but I'll try and keep them minimal and to things I can't otherwise figure out on my own through some research, trial, and error. Cheers!

Back