• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

June 2022 Turning Challenge, it's about time!

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Instead of a specific project, this month we are challenging your creativity with a theme -- "It's About Time!" So, let's not procrastinate nor while away the hours ... there's not a minute to waste. It's time for us to put on "hour" thinking caps. and make shavings.

And now, a word from the legal department:
  • Only one entry per person and only one photo of your "timely" creation.
  • Entries must be posted in this thread.
  • The deadline for posting entries is midnight Coordinated Universal Time (UTC) on June 23, 2022.
  • As always, this is a turning contest, not a "moldy oldie" photo contest, so in fairness to everybody, make sure your work is something you‘ve made after June 3, 2022.
  • Voting will take place from June 24, 2022, through midnight UTC on June 30, 2022.
  • Solicitation of votes will result in disqualification.
  • The winner might have to pass a lie detector test before collecting the prizes. :rolleyes: Good luck, have fun, make shavings, and let the chips fall where they may!! :)
When voting begins you are allowed one vote and once you have voted you won't be able to go back and change your vote. After you have voted you will be able to track the vote totals. The voting is secret (just like a real election) so nobody other than you can see who you voted for (not even the moderators/administrators). The voting will end at midnight UTC on June 30, 2022. In case of a tie vote, the forum moderators will gather in a virtual smoke-filled room to sort out the winner.

Tom Gall

TOTW Team
Instead of a specific project, this month we are challenging your creativity with a theme -- "It's About Time!" So, let's not procrastinate nor while away the hours ... there's not a minute to waste. It's time for us to put on "hour" thinking caps. and make shavings.
:rolleyes: :D Good one, Bill.

'Infinity Clock'... The texture represents the waves of time radiating from the center of the Milky Way with a bright star in the center.
The piece is eighteen inches in diameter, made from black walnut, and the 'star' is quilted maple.
(On a side note: I'll be teaching how to make a piece like this during my Friday demonstration at the AAW Symposium. I hope you'll join me, it will definitely be an interesting class.)

20220610_125455.jpg

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
I'll be teaching how to make a piece like this during my Friday demonstration at the AAW Symposium. I hope you'll join me, it will definitely be an interesting class.

I wish I could be there, but I’ll be having a myelogram which I’m sure won’t be nearly as much fun.

A "Circular Track" Timer for 15 sec. from ball drop to stop motion. Track is 10 1/2 inch x 2 inch juniper and the gold plated ball is .40 inches in dia. This type of ball was used in 1988 GM car air bag sensors which required detonation within 15 milliseconds of a real crash. At Siemans Automotive, I was involved in designing the sensor for high volume production and supplying the sensor to Delco Electronics. A magnet, a damping tube and gold plated contacts were involved to ensure precision upon impact.

AAW June 2022 Comp..JPG

Back