• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Kenny Stanberry

Hello everyone my name is Kenny Stanberry. I am 73 years old and have been involved with woodworking in one form or another for 60 years. From school shop, construction, cabinetmaker, Shop Forman in a cabinet shop to a maker of Fine Furniture. A couple years ago I gave all of my shop to my oldest son who is following me in my furniture vocation. Anyway the sawdust in my bloodstream started itching and a close neighbor had a midi lathe and the thought re-emerged that I had always felt the desire to learn wood turning but had never pursued. Anyway the neighbor unfortunately wound up in the VA home. So in seeing the lathe that my neighbor had it got me to thinking that it was something I had always wanted to try, and I started doing some research and I told my wife about my desire to get a lathe and try bowl turning. Being retired and fixed income it would take me awhile to save enough to get started. Well low and behold my friends son was out in his dads garage moving some things around and I asked if used his dads lathe and he said no and that he was thinking about selling it and I asked him how much he wanted for it and he said make an offer. He sold me everything, lathe and all the tools for a song. So this past year I have learning to turn bowls and vases. A fun experience. And a few lamp shades. I'll be happy to send some pics as soon as I turn something worth showing.

Website
www.reallyruralwoodworks.com
Actually, I have found just about anything that seems finished to the best of your ability , is worth showing.. constructive criticism can only help improve, plus it is an excuse to have a photographic record of your progress (year 1's best bowl vs year 2's best bowl, or something like that..) same reason I have been posting most all of my work to my facebook album.. and oh, by the way, welcome to AAW forums :)

Back