• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Website
www.southplainswoodturners.org
Hello,
I recently retired from a 30 year career teaching mostly woodworking (Tech Ed) to 7 - 10th graders in a couple of Texas Schools districts. The kids favorite activity was pen manufacturing. On two occasions my 9th graders contracted with the HR department to make 150 mesquite pens for the 10 year employee awards. WE used the proceeds to pay for several wood related trips.

I was a member of the Comanche Trails Woodtuners in Midland for many years and now am in Lubbock with the South Plains Woodturners. In 1997 I attended the AAW Symposium in San Antonio and the things that I remember the most were the demos making bells and cowboy hats. The next year I took a bus load of kids to the Texas Turn or Two and the Texas Mesquite Association Festival. We brought our mini lathes and I can remember the kids gluing the brass into the blanks going down the road to Fredricksburg. The Texas Technology Student Association used to have our annual contest in Waco at the Civic Center. This is same venue as the Southwest Association of Turners has their Symposium in late August.

I have invested some time into making our club a new website - southplainswoodturners.weebly.com… . This is a free site for now. Take a look and if you find a mistake, send me a note through the Web Page editors contact box. Weebly.com is used by first graders to make web pages so I thought I could handle it.

LIke many retirees, I have a small business. At Crowell's Creations my guests can create an instant spin art masterpiece to take home. Read more about it at kentcrowell.weebly.com . I plan to ride a bicycle from Houston to Austin in May to raise money for the National MS Society.

Some day I hope to move up from my mini lathe.

Attachments

• T_LATHE002.JPG
    T_LATHE002.JPG
    49.2 KB · Views: 20
  • kcbikemssmall.jpg
    kcbikemssmall.jpg
    6 KB · Views: 19
  • DSC01077.JPG
    DSC01077.JPG
    347.8 KB · Views: 19
Welcome to the forum. I agree- good to get kids involved in turning and woodworking. Kudos for using the pens a a fund raiser. Thanks for sharing your background and the story. Will check into Weebly- I went to the second grade; best three years of my life.
FWIW, a friend rode from San Diego to Daytona Beach or Jacksonville when he was 81. This was two years ago.

Hi Gerald,
Thanks for looking. Somethings work better on a PC than a smart phone. If you can identify which you tube had sound issues, I will try to get it working better. And we’re you viewing with an iPhone, android phone, PC or Mac?
Kent I am on a laptop win 10 . It was the June demo and I only looked at the beginning. Today went deeper and he sounds muffled. I may be the location of the mike as the lathe sounds are very clear. Ar you using a lavalier mic?

Back