• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Laguna 18BX, Rikon 10-347 & 10-353, Harvey Alpha, do you have one?

I am in need of a new bandsaw. My previous was a Rikon 10-326 14" with 14" resaw capacity. I looked at some Grizzly's but their resaw is only 12", I used my old Rikon's full 14" capacity many times so that leaves Grizzly out of the picture for me. For a new 14" saw I am between the Harvey Alpha and Rikon 10-353, and for 18" bandsaws I'm between the Laguna 18BX (available now) and the Rikon 10-347 (available next month). I am avoiding 5hp units as that would require a new electrical circuit.

Does anyone here have any of the four listed bandsaws that can speak to what you like and may not like about them? My concern with Harvey is that it is a 15" bandsaw and I can't seem to find 15" replacement tires anywhere except for Harvey. My concern with Laguna is what appears to be a spotty customer service record.

Thanks,

Damon

Love my new Laguna 14 inch Bandsaw. Use 3TPI and cut many bowl blanks with ease. Have cut a lot of timber for spindle blanks also. Just need to work on getting dust extractor. (Dust deputy)

Just a follow up.

I had a chance to ask a few questions to Harvey. Despite being listed in the parts diagram Harvey does not sell replacement tires for their 15" wheels and does not think that the 15" tires from Jet/Powermatic will fit. They had no solution should one ever need to replace the original rubber tires and recommended not changing them because the task was difficult. I don't know how often tires would need to be replaced but the idea of possibly not finding tires makes me reconsider having this saw on my list. I do appreciate Harvey's quick responses to my few questions.

I went to my local Woodcraft today to inquire about ordering a Laguna 18BX. While it shows as in stock at the warehouse my local store is not allowed to order machinery until May, the reason being that corporate wants machines in stock for their internet customers. So I called Woodcraft's 800 number and was told that the $99 flat rate shipping covers to the freight company's dock only. When it arrives I would be responsible for making and paying for any transfers from the dock to my house. Fees would be determined by the freight company after it arrives to the dock.

In regards to the Rikon 10-347, I can order that from Woodcraft online as well and the shipping costs are more transparent, though I was told it was the customer's responsibility to get the saw off the truck. I asked what it would cost for a liftgate and she told me whatever the driver wants to charge. I'm not fond of unknown expenses.

So I'm now looking at the Grizzly 17" and 19" saws again, my sole hesitation is the 12" resaw. I really need 14 at times. Shopping was so much easier when everyone had stock, especially the local stores.

I purchased the Harvey Alpha several months ago and find it an incredible machine. I own (and used regularly) a 45 year old Inca which is no longer manufactured and on which the tires have never been changed. Also a delta with a riser block in the shop. I doubt that the Harvey will need a tire change without a lot of miles. The build quality is outstanding, the ease of changing blades and setting up the new blade doesn't require the usual hex keys...You don't have to be a bandsaw mechanic to get it up and running and keep it running. The only saw I'd consider in addition would be a 36 inch Yates American or the like! Only downside: From mainland China...

I have had a Laguna 16HD for maybe 15 years, can't remember any more. 4 1/2 hp Baldor motor that had to run on a 30 amp circuit. No problem for an electrician to run the wires through conduit already in the shop. I had room in the circuit breaker for the 30 amp plug, or double plug, can't remember, and not an electrician.... Mine came on a truck with a lift gate, and they are able to back it up to the shop, so no problem unloading. If you are doing any kind of production work, this is an essential tool.

I keep a Lennox 1 1/4 inch wide blade on it, and teeth are about 3/4 inch apart. I believe it is the same blade most use on the portable bandsaw mills. It is strictly for ripping log sections/slabs for bowl blanks. I keep a smaller saw for cutting circles, which now is easy since the blanks have almost perfectly parallel sides. They are flat, so no rocking while trying to cut the circle. My chainsaw chop saw worked well, but not quite as well as the Laguna.

robo hippy

Thank you for the feedback guys, its very much appreciated.

Grizzly has a new saw branded South Bend that would work well for me, except there are several places where its noted that the saw can only be transported in an upright position. Getting it from the curb to the shop behind the house would be challenge as I don't have a pallet jack or tractor.

I received an email from Woodcraft's customer service stating that the information I was given over the phone was incorrect. The $99 flat rate freight fee with Laguna's bandsaw does include residential and liftgate. So I think I'm between the Laguna 16BX and the Rikon 10-347, both are compromises between my wants and needs.

Does anyone have a Laguna bandsaw with the ceramic guides? I'm wondering how well they work and how often they would need to be replaced for a hobby shop.

@Damon McLaughlin , I don't have personal experience with any of the saws you are considering, but I think you are right to consider all the "costs". It's not just how much a thing costs to buy, but what is it going to cost to buy, deliver, install and power up a machine.

That said, since bandsaws aren't made of glass and don't contain any liquids I doubt that any serious harm would come to one being put on it's side for a few minutes. Maybe a call to customer service would get more specifics. For example, I bought an AC unit last summer with similar warnings all over the box. I called customer service and was told that if I had to lay it flat, to let it stand upright for half an hour before running it in order to let the freon settle.

Pallet jacks et.al. can be rented, and some rental places can deliver and pick up.

I called Grizzly yesterday to ask a few questions about their South Bend bandsaw. What a pleasure it was to get all my questions answered. The person was friendly, knowledgable and was not reading from a script. She even looked up which carrier would be delivering and if they offered upgraded residential service where they'll put it in your shop. She told me when the sale would end, how many were in stock, when it would ship, approximate transit time and more.

The reason the South Bend Saw is supposed to be transported in an upright position only is that it is shipped fully assembled. The cast iron table extends past the frame and if too much lateral pressure is placed on the table while laying down it could break the trunnion. I have a driveway that is about 1000' feet long and they carrier that would be used has delivered here a few times before and always came down to the garage. I did contact a friend with a tractor and forks, he's available to help provided the roads aren't icy.

Anyway, I was really impressed with my interactions with Grizzly that I went ahead and ordered the South Bend SB1080 16" lathe. I at least have a couple options to get the lathe from the street or driveway to the shop, some rather easy, some not so easy but still doable.

Aside from being shipped fully assembled (just have to put the fence on), the table and fence are already aligned. I think the Laguna and Rikon models listed above would have been fine as well and I would have been happy with any of these saws. The SB was a good balance of compromises of what I needed and wanted. I look forward to getting it soon.

Thank you everyone for your input.

@Damon McLaughlin

Pallet jacks et.al. can be rented, and some rental places can deliver and pick up.

I had thought about renting a pallet jack but my 1000' driveway is gravel. I don't think they would work well on gravel. A skid steer with forks was expensive, bribing a club member to trailer their tractor and forks over was easy. He's willing to help provided the roads are clear. Otherwise, plan b, or c......

I have had pretty much no wear on the side guides on my Laguna. There is some wear on the thrust guide, the one on the back of the blade. It has small grooves. I just rotate it. I should probably get a new one, but haven't gotten around to it since it still works fine.

robo hippy

Website
www.woodtreasuresbybreck.com
I have the Laguna 18BX 3 HP bandsaw and It was the best money I've spent since my Robust AB I turn hundreds of bowls every year and as I get younger the chainsaw gets to be more of a challenge to my hands that seem to get the worst of using one for extended periods of time. I got tired of having to chop off the corners of large bowl blanks with my chainsaw when if I had a serious bandsaw I could just cut them round. Win Win less chain sawing and easier roughing out of large bowls. I can cut 7" thick wet blanks with ease now. I do need to tighten down the side guides tightening wheels lightly with a pair of pliers because cutting extremely large and heavy wet blanks were causing sparks to fly with the ceramic guide blocks because they were slipping due to me not being able to hand tighten them properly. Love it guys for the price, it gets a professional job done.

It's nice to know that the Laguna 18BX is serving you well. I have no doubt that it would have meet my needs as well, as I'm sure the Rikon would have. I did have a chance to see a 14BX in person and the build quality looks nice. My Rikon 10-326 did well for the past five years and I never had a problem with it, but at times it would have been nice to have more than its 1.75hp. There was a little hesitation in purchasing the South Bend SB1080 because it is a fairly new machine with only one review. I hope to double that number in the near future after I get some time on the saw.

I just wanted to update this thread and say that I received my South Bend 1080 bandsaw last week and am exceptionally pleased with it so far. It has exceeded my expectations though I'm sure the other saws mentioned in this thread would have met my needs as well.

I apologize for being slow, didn’t see the thread until today. I have used the Rikon 10-347 for over a year now. Moved up from a Laguna 14” SUV. The 19” cutting height has been used and the Motor is plenty powerful. The safety features are useful, particularly that you can’t turn it on unless the blade is tensioned. The table is large and robust but too low for tall people. Dust collection is poor but probably normal for a saw this size. I,m able to properly tension a 1” Trimaster for re-sawing and with a 1/2 green wood blade it was fun to make turning blanks. Adapted Festools router table slider to the saw and cutting square or round is a breeze. The saw is a joy to use.

Back