• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Laminations, Martha Collins....

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
I talked to David Ellsworth at length about this. When I was trying to start the club here, some turners told me why would they want to tell their "secrets". David encountered this on his first trip to France, many years ago. The French could not believe David was sharing everything he knew. David calls it the "Island" mentality. Not because of Maui, LOL Years later, he went back. People had developed their own style, based on his teachings. We are all individuals, we are on an ever-changing journey. I personally do not care for artists with "secrets" I would never buy a piece from one.
We are celebrating our 5th club anniversary, I have had the opportunity to host some of the world's top artists. One thing they all had in common is their willingness to share everything they know. Can you imagine taking a class from someone, then they tell you, sorry, that I can't teach you that step, is a secret. It's a good thing nobody so far has done that here. If they ever do, I would put their suitcases by the gate and call an Uber for them. Sorry, for the rant, it is personal for me. When I was a very green turner, I called a now-famous turner, but with a rapidly declining career due to his prices, and I asked, well, I begged him, to please give me a few lessons. He told me to call me in a few days. I did, and he told me, sorry, I won't, what I do I do not really want to teach to anyone. This famous artist is now selling pieces of Koa on Facebook to make ends meet.

Good morning, Emiliano.......here's the thing, and I've asked this before.

How would you know if another turner didn't reveal absolutely everything they know......?

The answer to that is you wouldn't know.....that is, unless they are up front and decide to tell you they wish to have "secrets"......You might even think that person did tell you "everything", if it just happens they wanted you to believe they did. o_O

Emiliano.......it's obvious to me that you do hold other turners in contempt, with your "suitcase at the gate" comment. That's too bad.....You should take what others are willing to give, and be thankful for it. Don't assume, and don't judge, because when you do, whether you realize it, or not, you are limiting the sources of input that you could have had otherwise.

Here's something else to consider.......How many of the world's best woodturning artists are very private about their methods?.....don't teach?......and, don't communicate/participate at all? You must take a moment to consider their personal reasons, and it's realistic to think some of them are very private, specifically because they feel their methods are exactly what make them unique in a world of competing interests. Personally, I can understand that completely, without reservation, and do support these world class artists for their personal decisions.

I hope you can take these comments in the spirit they are given, Emiliano. :D

-----odie-----

Dave Landers

Beta Tester
Website
dlwoodturning.com
I would have a really hard time identifying anything I do as totally my technique. There are a few things I do that some might call somewhat unique, but everything has been either learned or influenced demos I’ve seen, conversations, pieces in a gallery, etc. Unless you live in a cave, you can’t help but be affected by other artists, even if you don’t think you are. To share is just an extension of that recognition: that what you know has built on the shoulders of others.

In my previous life I was a commercial photographer among other things. Starting out there were those who carefully guarded their “secrets”, and those who understood the value and benefit of mentoring. As time passed digital technology put everyone on the same playing field (looking for information) and the internet made communication between professional peers easier and much faster, this old-school attitude gradually receded. There will always be those who can’t bring themselves to share their hard-won info along with those who embrace the concept that a rising tide lifts all boats. The old-school types generally find a shrinking market for their work while those who embrace growth drive the market’s growth and desire for better product.

The best teachers understand that both the teacher and pupil are students of the craft and grow in the process.

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
Good morning, Emiliano.......here's the thing, and I've asked this before.

How would you know if another turner didn't reveal absolutely everything they know......?

The answer to that is you wouldn't know.....that is, unless they are up front and decide to tell you they wish to have "secrets"......You might even think that person did tell you "everything", if it just happens they wanted you to believe they did. o_O

Emiliano.......it's obvious to me that you do hold other turners in contempt, with your "suitcase at the gate" comment. That's too bad.....You should take what others are willing to give, and be thankful for it. Don't assume, and don't judge, because when you do, whether you realize it, or not, you are limiting the sources of input that you could have had otherwise.

Here's something else to consider.......How many of the world's best woodturning artists are very private about their methods?.....don't teach?......and, don't communicate/participate at all? You must take a moment to consider their personal reasons, and it's realistic to think some of them are very private, specifically because they feel their methods are exactly what make them unique in a world of competing interests. Personally, I can understand that completely, without reservation, and do support these world class artists for their personal decisions.

I hope you can take these comments in the spirit they are given, Emiliano. :D

-----odie-----
Found a great Netflix series to binge on, more fun than answering you, Odie... One of the things I love about this great country, the first amendment.

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
Found a great Netflix series to binge on, more fun than answering you, Odie... One of the things I love about this great country, the first amendment.

Absolutely, Emiliano........Have a great day! :D

-----odie-----

Back