• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Lathe Mount for Carving Stand

Carving stands aren't in ever workshop, but they are somewhat popular, so I thought I would share this idea. I recently bought a Woodcut Pro-Mount carving stand, which I am pleased with. But like most of the other varieties of carving stand out there it suffers one flaw if you use it at the lathe. By the time you add the chuck and mount the stand in the typical banjo the workpiece can be pretty high off the ground, particularly if it is a piece of any size. I was trying to use my Pro-Mount while standing on my biggest turning block. Then I had an idea. The "smoke stack" design of my banjo (and many others) was contributing a great deal to the work elevation. What I needed was an upside down banjo. Hence this idea was born.
SAM_4813.JPG
SAM_4814.JPG
A large dowel, bored out to accommodate the carving stand's tool post, is glued to a piece of plywood. The plywood is fixed to the ways by means of pressure plate and screw.
SAM_4809.JPG
SAM_4816.JPG
It brings the piece down about 3 1/4 inches, which is a big improvement. I made the two U pins to snap on to the tool post in the event I wanted a little more height, but I doubt I am going to be using them. Overall this seems to work well. It has a good deal of adjustability. I made this one to fit my lathe, but feel free to copy any or all of the idea that might be useful to you.

I have the Bosch and mounted it in bench vise but not everyone has a bench with large vise . For me this sometimes presents the opposite height problem of being too low but I can raise the 2x4 mount about 6 inches. I really like the solution Mark has cobbled out.

Tom Gall

TOTW Team
I have the Veritas carving vise (bought at an estate sale) that has the same height problem - but I rarely use it.
You lowered it by 3+". Do you need or prefer it to be lower? What if you reversed your pieces so the clamping plate is on top of the bed. You may have to modify the length of a few pieces but you will be able to lower it even more by whatever the height of your bed is (6"?), and then use your post length for further adjustments. Just a thought.

That's readily doable. It would just need a longer carriage bolt. You would sacrifice some of positioning adjustability, though. You could tilt the piece forward, but not so much backward or side to side.

If you have the skills and equipment making it out of 1/4" steel plate would get you another half inch of height reduction.

Sounds like this needs a clever name and catchy marketing slogan. How about banjo pronounced backwards. I can see it now:

Introducing the world's first Ojnab! It slices. It dices. It's a pocket fisherman!

(Although why you would have fish in your pockets is a bit of a mystery).

Maybe go with this one:

The first ever Ojnab. An idea so brilliant it couldn't be patented!

Why do you want to tie up your lathe as part of a stand when you could just as easily make a floor mounted stand that could be any height you desire. If rigidity is a problem make a box for the base and fill it with rocks or sand.

Back