• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Lathe recommendation to pass on to wannabe new turner...

Jon

Website
www.rogueturner.com
Ok, so I'm not a beginner, and I don't drool in the woodworking stores or even at the symposium tradeshow over new, small lathes. So it's been quite a while since I really paid attention to what's out there. But I just got asked about a beginner's lathe, and started to look around.

The woman who asked, sent me a link to the Excelsior Mini Lathe at Rockler, for $300. My gut reaction was no, and I started writing a few reasons why, to explain my position. But then I started looking around and realized it's been quite a while since I looked at what's out there, what they cost, and how they might compare quality-wise.

Ten years ago it was a no-brainer and I'd say, "Go buy a Jet Mini 1014VS, the variable speed model, it's pretty much the industry standard," now known the Jet 1015VS. But at almost twice the price of the one in her link, hard to give that advice to someone just wanting to start, and kicking the tires.

So I went to look at the Want Ads here, and on our local Craigslist, for a used Jet mini. Locally I see a lot of rusty antique Craftsman-style lathes I wouldn't give away, asking ridiculous prices. There are a few Delta midi's, a non-VS Jet and a handful of other imports (Grizzly, HF, etc.). Easy for me to pick my way through them, but hard to explain to someone else which I'd choose and why (and it's not my money being spent).

On the new side, the current knock-offs of the Jet look like parts *might* be interchangeable, and maybe even a VS retrofit kit would fit, but I'd hate to steer someone in that direction only to find they were painted into a corner.

Anyway, my question is, for those who are frequently giving advice these days to new turners, what mini- or midi-lathes are currently the best quality for the lowest prices? What direction do you steer new turners or club members? What lathes are clubs buying to teach beginners on (our local club has a Delta-midi VS)?

Thanks,

Last edited:

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Lots of choices out there. I have only used a few of them.

The jet 1221vs is near the top of the line for small lathes.
It also come with a hefty price tag. I bought one to lug to demos where I have to provide a lathe.

I see used jet 1014s available about every month. Some are hardly used.

On the newer lathes
I have done demos on the Nova technatool 12" lathe a couple of times.
Is is pretty good little machine. I saw Home Depot is selling it and G3 Chuck for about $500.

A couple of local clubs have some Rikons. They are a step below the nova Technatool.
The Technatool is couple steps below the Jet 1221vs

Last edited:

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Tri-county (central Florida) Woodturner's just received an email with a sale price on a
16" woodfast longbed 1.5 hp. $500. Has the Craft Supplies legstand.
What a wonderful machine for less than a midi.
I bought a similar machine in 1995 and it is still going strong.

Check with your local chapters. Takes a while but wonderful deals come by.

Last edited:
My first lathe was the Excelsior. It's essentially the same lathe as a number of other brands, with different colors and badges. I don't think it's a good deal at $300, but I think it's fair when it went on sale for $200. It's a pretty nice lathe, but I constantly wish it had variable speed. Changing the belt on the pulleys is a bit of a hassle.

If someone just wants to find out if woodturning suits them and is cost conscious, it's a decent lathe when on sale. But if they fall in love with woodturning after getting one, they'll be upgrading.

I looked at the VS retrofit from PSI, btw, and I decided against it. The VS range is limited and to get the full range of speeds you still have to change the belt on the pulleys. Also, it's only a 1/2 HP motor which would be OK, but I understand that the VS lowers the effective power. If you want VS, I'd look for a VS model to start with.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
... I looked at the VS retrofit from PSI, btw, and I decided against it. The VS range is limited and to get the full range of speeds you still have to change the belt on the pulleys. Also, it's only a 1/2 HP motor which would be OK, but I understand that the VS lowers the effective power. If you want VS, I'd look for a VS model to start with.

If the Excelsior is like the other similar mini lathes, the fixed speed version uses an AC induction motor while the variable speed version uses a DC universal motor. The advantage of the AC motor motor with the stepped cone pullers is that full power is available at each of the speeds. The DC motor can only produce full power at its maximum speed. At the bottom of its speed range the power output is considerably less. For small things like pens and bottle stoppers the lack of low speed power doesn't matter. For my needs, the greater power of the fixed speed lathe was the right choice ... and, as an added bonus, the cost was much less than the VS version.

Another option is to purchase a workable lathe and make a marketable product on the lathe and with
the proceeds you make in a year or two you can purchase your dream lathe.
There are plenty of used lathes on the market, with a little elbow grease and new parts you can refurbish
a wood or metal lathe and make extra cash for your tool upgrades.
I have purchased metal lathes and cleaned them up painted them and replaced a few renewable parts and
made a 2x or 3x return on the original investment.
There are plenty of YouTube videos that go over the process of taking these machines apart for these types
of repairs and refurbishing.

Back