• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Les Hedquist

I am retired, living in Red Lodge, Montana. Woodworking has been one of my main hobbies, mostly making furniture for our house and sometimes for others. Turning has always been enjoyable, but I haven't done too much of it until recently when I agreed to make some shaving kits for our local barber. It has been a real learning curve-new tools to master and finding great wood.

Recently, I decided to replace my small Jet lathe. Having been a machinist and tool and die maker for many years, I knew what a quality machine feels like, and this machine was not it. My budget dictated a small, but better made machine. I bought a 1951 Atlas lathe. It had barely been used, hardly a mark on it, and it included the original operators manual dated 1951. So far, so good, until I tried to mount my OneWay chuck. I bought a 1" x 10 tpi chuck adaptor, and do have a 1"x10tpi faceplate, plus some MT2 mandrels and drive spurs, but otherwise found that no-one sells 1x10 tooling. I feel silly, considering the knowledge of all this that was hiding in my brain. I struggled, but finished the project ok. I'm not dead in the water, but frustrated. I could get an adaptor made, 1x10 to 1x8, I suppose. We'll see. I thought that I'd serve up a few laughs for you guys.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Welcome to the forum,
No laughter here.

I have an ancient Atlas table saw I bought at an auction for $350 runs great, Has a 3/4” arbor. Just means I pay $8 extra every time a buy I saw blade which isn’t often. Can buy a lot of blade to cover the $1000 plus for a modern saw of lesser quality.

Same situation for 1x10 threads. There just aren’t many things you need to screw onto the headstock. A Chuck, a faceplate, maybe a vacuum Chuck....
You already know ONEWAY sells the chuck adapter for their chucks and vacuum attachments.
I have several ONEWAY adapters one goes from 1 x 8 to 33 x 3.5 m so they should be able to make you one that goes from 1x10 to 1x8.

They do make Morse Taper adapters with common thread types that will fit wood lathe accessories.
You can secure the Morse Taper adapter with a 3/8-16 threaded rod with a hand wheel nut tightened
down on the other end of the head-stock spindle. Of course you can always source a 1x10 to 1x8 threaded spindle adapter or have one machined.

RichColvin

Super Moderator
Staff member
OTI Member
Website
www.colvintools.com
Les,

is that a metal or wood lathe? I know Atlas/Craftsman metal lathes are quite good. Like to have one!

Mike has a good point. Using the MT is easy, but you need to secure it in. Also makes it easier to transfer the piece between lathes.
Kind regards,
Rich

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Welcome to the AAW forum, Les. Your chuck probably came with a 1 X 8 adapter already installed. You can remove it and replace it with a 1 X 10 adapter. Just call Oneway and tell them what you need. Also, request that they send you new socket head cap screws because the old screws shouldn't be reused after the extreme tension and compression cycles that they have been through.

Welcome to the AAW forum, Les. Your chuck probably came with a 1 X 8 adapter already installed. You can remove it and replace it with a 1 X 10 adapter. Just call Oneway and tell them what you need. Also, request that they send you new socket head cap screws because the old screws shouldn't be reused after the extreme tension and compression cycles that they have been through.
Hi Bill,
Yes, the chuck was fitted with a 1x8" adaptor that worked fine on my previous Jet lathe. What a shock to find that it didn't fit the Atlas. I did get a 1x10 adaptor. The chuck came with a threaded drive spud that is clamped in the chuck, very handy. But for small pieces, I keep busting my knuckles on the chuck. I'd like to have a 1 x 10 threaded drive spud instead, but no-one seems to sell one. So, I have a chuck, faceplate and some MT2 mandrels, so I can get a lot done. Not sure what my next move is.

They do make Morse Taper adapters with common thread types that will fit wood lathe accessories.
You can secure the Morse Taper adapter with a 3/8-16 threaded rod with a hand wheel nut tightened
down on the other end of the head-stock spindle. Of course you can always source a 1x10 to 1x8 threaded spindle adapter or have one machined.
Thanks for the info. Do you know who sells the MT adaptor-with a 3/8-16 rod?
There is a machine shop in town, I'm going to see what he says about making a adaptor, but he'll probably have to single point thread the 1x10tpi female thread, as well as the male 1"x8, could be $$. We'll see.

Good tip on the screws. Thanks. They didn't send new screws, so I'll get some.

Back